10Gbe for AIO Storage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I am going to be setting up an AIO solution and I want the link between the storage VM and ESXi to be 10Gbe, how do I configure ESXi to do that? I have looked online and so far I cannot find anything.

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
I am going to be setting up an AIO solution and I want the link between the storage VM and ESXi to be 10Gbe, how do I configure ESXi to do that? I have looked online and so far I cannot find anything.
You don't really need to do anything. As long as the VM are connected to the same virtual switch, they are connected at 10G.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
By default, the network speed between local VM and local ESXi is 10G ( at least the display link speed ).
In real world speed, it is limited by ESXi server OS CPU cycle.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
OK, did not know that. Now to figure out why I can't do a test install of OmniOS in ESXi.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So it would be faster to have an Infiniband connection than using vmxnet3 ?:eek:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
OK, did not know that.
Now to figure out why I can't do a test install of OmniOS in ESXi.
Just download the OmniOS storageserver template for ESXi 6.0u2.
napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads

Import/deploy and you are up within two minutes-
optionally update napp-it and OmniOS to current 151020.

Vmware tools are included so you can just use vmxnet3s between OmniOS and ESXi.

If you install manually, avoid USB3 or USB3 chipsets when you try to boot from an USB stick
(not yet supported but drivers in the way)

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Just download the OmniOS storageserver template for ESXi 6.0u2.
napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads

Import/deploy and you are up within two minutes-
optionally update napp-it and OmniOS to current 151020.

Vmware tools are included so you can just use vmxnet3s between OmniOS and ESXi.

If you install manually, avoid USB3 or USB3 chipsets when you try to boot from an USB stick
(not yet supported but drivers in the way)
Will that image work with 16GB DOMs?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
No, 32GB is required.

With current OmniOS it is hard to stay with 16GB as you have no space for additional bootenvironments, may get troubles on updates and a crashdump is also not possible.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
If I can figure out how to make them fit the server, I do have two 40GB Intel SSDs I can put in place for OmniOS + napp-it. Still not sure if the server will have power connectors for them though (SuperMicro SuperServer 1028R-TDW).

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
@smccloud I made a not-so-small investment in 64GB SATA DOMs for that reason.
Had I been smart, I would have done 32GB SATA DOMs when I species it out, to late now. If I have to, I'll run FreeNAS. It's only hosting a Skype For Business cluster.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Well, minor surprise. I got 32GB SATA DOMs with the server. The one thing I am trying to figure out right now is if a 16/32GB thumb drive will provide a place to store the VMX for an OmniOS/napp-it machine.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Well, minor surprise. I got 32GB SATA DOMs with the server. The one thing I am trying to figure out right now is if a 16/32GB thumb drive will provide a place to store the VMX for an OmniOS/napp-it machine.
16GB may be tight but would probably work, 32Gb sata DOM would certainly hold encapsulated files for napp-it.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
16GB may be tight but would probably work, 32Gb sata DOM would certainly hold encapsulated files for napp-it.
So a USB Thumb Drive will allow me to store VM files? If I could find a floppy to SATA power adapter I could use a 20GB or 40GB SSD.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I wouldn't use a usb disk, there's a trick you can do w/ vSphere 6 to make free space on a USB disk accessible as a datastore but my buddy has seen lackluster performance and R/O issues w/ his FreeNAS setup taking that route, best to stick to a true sata DOM disk IMHO. Other option is good ole' intel dc s3500 80gb (or whatever you have handy) to take a sata port off mobo and a regular sata power cable and do it that way as well.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I wouldn't use a usb disk, there's a trick you can do w/ vSphere 6 to make free space on a USB disk accessible as a datastore but my buddy has seen lackluster performance and R/O issues w/ his FreeNAS setup taking that route, best to stick to a true sata DOM disk IMHO. Other option is good ole' intel dc s3500 80gb (or whatever you have handy) to take a sata port off mobo and a regular sata power cable and do it that way as well.
I have to SATA power cable on the motherboard. I'll probably use a SATA DOM then. Even though I will have to do a RDM for the boot volume.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Why would you have to do a RDM, install ESXi to sata dom, use free space formatted as VMFS volume and put napp-it on there.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hey however you wanna slice it, that should work, ESXi 'should' see that sata DOM as a formattable disk, no need for RDM. Could also save a sata DOM and use a single one following the method I outlined above. Should be rock solid.