10G PoE Switch: Mikrotik or Aruba

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mpasth

Jul 12, 2023
Hi all,

i'm using Aruba 2530 switches since years and i'm very happy with it. As i plan to move my main
virtualization cluster (Proxmox) to 10G because of increased load (VM migration, replication on
application base between CARP connected machines, 4xVM build cluster, faster backup) i'm thinking
of replacing my old SFP only switches with sth that is capable of doing 10G (SFP+ DAC cables) between
the cluster.

I'm doing the whole L3 routing and firewalling in two CARP connected VMs for failover, so i only
need L2.

As i come from Procuve/Aruba land and i'm very familiar with the CLI, support, updates, ... i'd like
to stick with it, IF....if there wouldn't be the huge price difference.

I'm going with 24x1G + 4SFP+, that means
- Aruba CX 6100 = 1500,-
- Mikrotik CRS328-24P-4S+RM = 500,-

After reading all the specs, of course the Aruba looks faster/better (CPU, MEM), but backplane speed,
PoE are almost identical and also for the price of the Aruba i can buy directly 2x Mikrotik for redundancy.

I'm simply not sure about the real speed, stability of RouterOS and also...as i'm still growing, i don't want
performance issues in the future.

What do you think? Many thanks in advance.

sic0048

Dec 24, 2018
Have you seen the Aruba thread on this site? https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...s-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/

There are plenty of older switch models that may meet your needs and cost a fraction of the cost of buying new. I think the 6450 is in line with what you are considering. You might bump up to the 6610 to have more SFP ports for future expansion, or if you plan on "stacking" multiple switches because you don't use up the available SFP ports when stacking switches like you do with the 6450.

Last edited:

mpasth

Jul 12, 2023
I didn't follow this thread, but after reading a bit my first question is. What firmware images are being installed? Is the source trustworthy? Sorry, i don't know the details and background of that user "fohdeesha". Of course getting an enterprise switch like the 6610 with 8x SFP+ is nice, but i wonder about the long-term updates

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It seems a bit odd to compare what I am assuming to be relatively high end switch in their stack to the Mikrotik, price wise I would assume an Aruba 1930 model is more similar.

Is there a reason you (OP) can't use a 1930?

mpasth

Jul 12, 2023
Is there a reason you (OP) can't use a 1930?
From my research, the 1930 has no CLI, a different firmware and is also primarily for cloud access *shudder*. The CX 6100 line is more like my old 2530/2540.

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
What firmware images are being installed? Is the source trustworthy?
The firmware is available freely from Ruckus. fohdeesha simply made a nice guide and packaging for it.

mpasth

Jul 12, 2023
The firmware is available freely from Ruckus. fohdeesha simply made a nice guide and packaging for it.
But on the Ruckus site i see only firmware from 2020, see

So where is the new firmware, including bug-/security fixes coming from? Is there an official website?

EDIT: ...and adding to that above. I could get a few Brocade refurbished including guarantee for 500-1500EUR depending on model. So it all comes down to "is the firmware official" and "are all 8x 10G SFP+ ports per license usable.

Last edited:

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
So where is the new firmware, including bug-/security fixes coming from? Is there an official website?
That IS the official website - Ruckus bought Brocade - and that is the latest firmware those models will ever receive. The ICX6xxx are EoL Whether that matters to you in your homelab or not is your decision.

If you would like a model that is still supported with newer firmware, you’ll need to look at the ICX7150/7250/7450/7650.

mpasth

Jul 12, 2023
Ok. Thanks for clarification. As i have a business usage, that's not an option then. I need upates, as soon as security/stability issues arise.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
From my research, the 1930 has no CLI, a different firmware and is also primarily for cloud access *shudder*. The CX 6100 line is more like my old 2530/2540.
Only speaking about the InstantOn switches, not about AccessPoints: Yes and no. The Aruba InstantOn line is the replacement of the HPE OfficeConnect line. They don't have any CLI. They can either be cloud managed or local managed. In local management you get a lot more features (cloud is very reduced in terms of features). WebIF is similar to the OfficeConnects (ex HP and not ex 3com)
Start up the device out of the box, connect to WebIF and select local management and you are fine. I have a CX 6100 12G and a 1830-8G, and in fact the CX is very chatty towards the internet (connection to some alibaba and amazon clouds, I blocked internet access for the device). The 1830 in local mode is dead silent in terms of communication, just NTP to my router from time to time.
I miss the cli of Aruba-OS Switch on my 6100, the CX line is more cisco style. The option I miss the most is the menu command, nothing easier for managing VLANs.

If there was a 1930-8G with SFP+ I would sell my CX and go the InstantOn way (of course in local mode). The CX are just overpriced for my homelab if bought new. And firmware support from Aruba is somewhat complicated (I've been lucky and can download CX firmware with my ASP account, but others have reported different).

Last edited:

mpasth

Jul 12, 2023
Thanks @Mike9474593

The more i've read also in other communities/reviews and thinking about my planned setup, i'll look more close to the products from Mikrotik. Performance for bucket seems a lot better there and if also the CLI changed from ArubaOS (loved that)...what should i stick to them