10 year old Asustor NAS works better with media files than a Windows Server OS on superior hardware ??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SecCon

Arkham Asylum Server Mgmt
May 26, 2022
I have 2 file shares, one on an Asustor 606-T NAS with SMB3 and one on a Window Server. I have a lot of media files in various formats stored and I have noticed that when playing these from any of the file shares, the NAS is more stable and less prone to lag than the Server.

I do not really get that. The hardware is miles apart, the server machine has dual Xeons, 128GB DDR4 ram and is in many ways far superior to the NAS, which has an Atom CPU and 3GB DDR3 RAM. I am not streaming, I am looking up the file from a desktop/laptop/tablet and playing it .

Needless to say am looking in to ways of optimizing the server for a better result, so what do you think can be done? I guess the most obvious culprit is some Windows configuration?

(I can not at this time replace Windows with anything else, so please refrain from telling me to get Unraid, Proxmox, TrueNAS or anything like that.)

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Did you run the bpa (best practice analyzer) and looked at the suggestions?

I had for ~6 years a dual core xeon d (2.2GHz), 16GB ram, 10GBE + >150TB hardware raid windows server as a nas and no problems sharing files to windows pcs or android tablets & nvidia shields running kodi

SecCon

May 26, 2022
Sharing is not the issue, everything kinda works . But say you are watching a recording and you decide to skip forward, or backward, at that moment the Server may give you a bit of lag, often lasting only a few seconds but still noticeable, while the NAS do not.

Will check BPA again, I think I may have forgotten about that.

SecCon

May 26, 2022
ok, had 99 Info items to check.

jeez...

But last row says I am in compliance with BPA...

Last edited: