solaris 11.3

1. TheBloke

Solaris 11.3: IPS change-facet in global zone not inherited in non-global zones

Hi all I am using pkg change-facet to change version-lock to False on a large number of packages, such that I can update these packages to their latest version. This is working OK in the global zone. The problem is that these changed facets are not being inherited into my non-global zones. So...
  2. TheBloke

ZFS volumes used by iSCSI showing double space usage in zfs list?

Hi all I just started testing iSCSI volumes from my Solaris 11.3 server to my Windows 10 workstation. It's working great, and was super easy to setup. But I am seeing one very confusing thing: zfs list always reports far more data used in the ZFS volume than I have actually created. I...
  3. TheBloke

ZFS: Partitioning drives = write cache disabled?

Hi all I'm hoping to get a high-performance PCI-E SSD to add to my home Solaris 11.3 file server/NAS. Specifically, a 1.2TB LSI Nytro Warp drive. (Forum thread here.) This device is an LSI 2308 with 6 x 200GB SSDs, which by default are configured as a hardware RAID-0. But I believe it is...
  4. TheBloke

smartmontools / smartcli causing software errors on disks whenever used?

Hi all I recently started using smartmontools, installed via the CSWsmartmontools package on my Solaris 11.3 server. I am particularly interested in this for temperature measuring of my 24 HDDs - in particular the 12 that are in my external JBOD chassis, which doesn't have much airflow between...
  5. TheBloke

LSI 2308 (9217-8i) on Solaris 11.3?

Hey all I got my first LSI SAS HBA this week (LSI SAS 2008) and now want to get a second for my home file server running Solaris 11.3. I've found a good deal on a used LSI 9217-8i with the SAS 2308 chipset. It's priced the same as an OEM 9211-8i/SAS2008 but it's in the UK so I can get it...