Search results

1. R

128Gb RAM on Threadripper at 2400 Mhz. Can it be done?

Is a Threadripper build with 128GB unbuffered ECC RAM at 2400+ Mhz a realistic goal? Threadripper only takes unbuffered RAM, which really limits my options. here is my problem: I can't do 4x32 Gb sticks because I can't find unregistered ECC 32Gb sticks, much less single rank ones. I could do...
  2. R

Getting ready for a threadripper build, undecided about mobo and RAM

I recently purchased a Threadripper 1950X, which I intend to use to run a ZFS-based, multi-headed, multi-OS rig (Probably using Proxmox, but I plan to experiment with FreeNAS+Bhyve and maybe ESXi). However, I am currently undecided about the motherboard and memory. I would really like to use...
  3. R

Help me refine my multi-headed virtualized workstation

I want to build One Computer To Rule Them All. I plan to have a multiheaded setup, with one pair of monitors, keyboard + mouse each Windows and Linux, running in VMs. Windows will be used for gaming and graphic art projects, Linux for data science/bioinformatics, so performance is important. I...
  4. R

Three virtualization setups: best performance?

I want to use virtualization to separate my tasks into virtual machines, at least one Windows and one Linux. I like the idea of using ZFS to maximize IOPS of my VMs. I also like the idea of using ZFS through a Solaris derivative, on the theory that it will offer the best ZFS experience. I'd use...
  5. R

Planning a multiseat, virtualized workstation

With AMD's Zen around the corner, I am getting ideas about what I might do with a crazy number of CPU cores. I am looking to build a computer for use as a multi-seat workstation. I would like to have my host be some very stripped down OS (as close to "bare metal" as possible), and exclusively do...