Search results

1. G

Hardware pron thread

Wow, XENIX ... haven't heard that in a loooooong time.
  2. G

New 10Gbe install, wildly different speeds on similar hardware

No I hadn't, but I just tried the options suggested there for the FBSD tuning and it didn't seem to make any real difference. I'm still seeing that wall of ~5Gb/s (that I can push closer to 6 but never quite hit it if I ramp up more connections). I think I'm just going to take this is a sign...
  3. G

I understand the challenges and limitations for the most part (more so now that I've jumped in two feet first). Nothing "windows-ish" in my setup here at all, this was all FreeNAS/Ubuntu/CentOS testing happening, and on the (literally) exact same boot ISO one machine is just sort of 'stuck' on...
  4. G

Nope still no joy, can't seem to break that 5.5Gb/s barrier.
  5. G

Unfortunately that wasn't the issue, appears to be linking at x8 ok. 07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82598EB 10-Gigabit AF Dual Port Network Connection (rev 01) Subsystem: Intel Corporation 10-Gigabit AF DA Dual Port Server Adapter Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle-...
  6. G

Ok so a bit more info to report back here ... I've now tried this all out with live boot CDs, I updated firmware on all cards in question (the problem machine -- sinestro -- was a couple of revisions back in terms of firmware). here's my findings: Nothing that I've done will get me more than...
  7. G

I will if there's nothing else to test as it's a fair bit of work to accomplish that (I've found esxi can be incredibly fussy at times and I don't want to bust things without just cause heh)
  8. G

And going from sinestro (slowest machine, FN 9.10) to other machines: to 'house' (R610) , ~4.6Gbps single connection, ~5.5Gbps multiple connections [mark@sinestro ~]$ iperf -n 100G -i 1 -c house ------------------------------------------------------------ Client connecting to house, TCP port...
  9. G

MTU is 1500 ix0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500 options=e400b9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,VLAN_HWTSO,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6> ether 00:1b:21:70:8c:2b inet 192.168.10.15 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.10.255 nd6...
  10. G

So to test this theory out I swapped the card into an x8 slot and there is no difference at all in the throughput :( I'm seeing the exact same numbers with all the cards in x8 slots now. Also I'm going to update the first post as the OEM card was in a different machine than I thought ...
  11. G

But the strange thing is that one machine gets 5.5Gbps in an x4 and the other gets half of that, and then the other machine that has the same card in x8 gets the same throughput as a previous one with x4. That's the part that's the most puzzling.
  12. G

They are all 2.0 as far as I know. And yes I just confirmed, all 3 servers are PCIe 2.0.
  13. G

Also worth reporting here is that I tried different virtual NICs in the esxi guests (both e1000 and vmxnet3) and surprisingly didn't see a change in performance. And I also tried to and from a FN10 nightly VM on the R610 (fastest box) and the performance too and from that was terrible (< 2Gbps...
  14. G

Hi everyone I just installed a Quanta LB6M into my home setup and in testing with iperf I'm seeing some wildly different speeds on different machines and I'm not really sure exactly why or where the bottleneck is. The best speeds I've gotten is around 5.5-6Gbs (which I consistently get going...
  15. G

Hardware pron thread

Noise is not that much of a factor for me. I didn't try to quiet them down any. In terms of a controller yes they work with any SATA/SAS compatible drives, the limit previously was the controller card they shipped with had a 32bit limit. They are still limited to some degree in terms of speed...
  16. G

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Thanks to everyone here who has done all the sleuthing, collecting and posting. I ordered one of these switches and hopefully should have it any time. My needs are simple, I just need to push more packets faster on a couple of VLANs. Hoping this gets the job done!
  17. G

Hardware pron thread

And yet another rack upgrade, think I'm finally pretty happy with the setup. Another upgrade to a lower powered machine (r900 to r710).
  18. G

Hardware pron thread

Electricity is not very cheap at all where I live (!!), but you have to also realize that there's more to server setups than the sheer amount of bogomips it can push. My FreeNAS box hovers around 4.0 to 6.0 for it's load average most of the time during peak hours. Lots and lots of little tasks...
  19. G

Domain name registrar - any recomendations

+1 for Namecheap as well
  20. G

vSphere 6.5 has landed!

Agreed, I do like the HTML5 fling on the hosts, it's a big improvement. I haven't tried the vcenter one (didn't know it existed), but it has to at least bit a bit better than the current flash based web access. For most things I still use the windows based vSphere client like the rest of the...