Search results

1. E

Basic question about networked /home shared via Samba

Thanks @kromberg. I've only just spotted your reply. So it looks like the piece I was missing was employing both samba and nfs. I'm hoping the IPA doesn't complicate things, but don't think it will. thanks.
  2. E

Basic question about networked /home shared via Samba

I've got myself confused about what I'm sure is quite basic, please help. Aim: I want to put my /home directories on a network drive and then share them. Relevant factors: * Non-critical home environment * Mixed linux/windows. All my server stuff is Linux, but users tend to use Windows * I've...
  3. E

How should I handle local system accounts in an IPA?

Looking for best practice recommendations about how to handle system accounts in a predominantly linux-based IPA environment. A common example: A particular machine in my network is running a service as a system account that is local to that machine. Let's say its unix name and group is...
  4. E

Datasets on my root ZFS mirror - allocating space for Proxmox install and data

Just to conclude - The installer makes it clear that it will nuke all data on the disk: "The Proxmox Installer automatically partitions your hard disk. It installs all required packages and finally makes the system bootable from hard disk. All existing partitions and data will be lost"
  5. E

You're right. In fact I designed the system to have a separate boot device(s), an the bulk of my data is on a pool of spinning disks. It's just that the helpful folk on this forum flagged a great deal on the 750GB drives that I couldn't resist getting them for my boot devices. Now I find it...
  6. E

I'm sure I read somewhere that because 5.x is such a major upgrade from 4.x, that it is safer to do a fresh install. But for the life of me I can't find where I read that now. As I'm running this as a home server, I'm happier to invest more time in the set up (and can server downtime while I'm...
  7. E

Hi - I'm about to reinstall Proxmox afresh on my 2 disk SSD ZFS mirror (750GB each). Please could you sanity check that I'm not going to nuke my data. When I first set everything up, I think I simply installed Proxmox onto the SDD Raid 1 drives. Which presumably created the rpool zpool, and...
  8. E

What's a sensible theft-event strategy (encryption?)

Hi all, As my Proxmox/ZFS setup is taking shape, I'm starting to feel quite grown up about how seriously I'm taking my data (mirrors/backups etc). A weak point would be in the event of theft. There's one dataset with finances and stuff which someone could probably use for identity fraud. What...
  9. E

Help! ZFS resilver ended with "insufficient replicas"

Phew! It turns out one of my SATA cables had got pinched in the disk-swap process. I replaced the cable, resilvering resumed, and now it's completed with my pools all nice and tidy (though I've got to lookup what 3 in the cksum column means). Thanks all! root@toast:~# zpool status bodpool...
  10. E

Thanks @gea. You've given me hope. It's only my music collection, so not mission critical. But my soul is crying at the prospect of ripping all those CDs again :eek:. Regarding disk detection. My server is a Proxmox hypervisor, so I use ZFS baked into Proxmox. I tried to research unique...
  11. E

Hi everyone, I've just replaced a drive in my ZFS pool to add storage capacity. But at the end of the resilver process the status is: root@toast:~# zpool status bodpool pool: bodpool state: UNAVAIL status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is missing or invalid...
  12. E

How do I centralise my home directories?

I've got a small home network and I'd like to centralise the home directories of the Linux users so that they will always have access to the same home directory regardless of which machine they use to log on. Is this wise? And if so, how best to achieve this? I do have a server that is always...
  13. E

FreeIPA domain question - getting things right before I start

Right, so I ve got my freeipa server up and running. But now I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to implement it across my hosts. I'm vaguely aware that I have to install the client software on the various machines but I don't really know whether it's possible to 'import' my existing users. To...
  14. E

Thanks @mstone. Hmm. When at home, I'm all on one network e.g. 192.168.122.x. But I've also got OpenVPN set up as TUN so when I VPN in, my client gets assigned an IP 192.168.244.x. I've only just set up this VPN, so am using it in very simple ways so far - e.g. to access some Samba shares using...
  15. E

OK great. I'm a bit of a network neanderthal, but trying to evolve as quickly as possible. So I'll take the plunge and move from the effortless pre-configured safety of the router doing my internal DNS stuff, to configuring freeIPA do it all. Afterall, the whole reason is to make the...
  16. E

Thanks all. I'll use the freenom domain and I've changed my internal domain to be a subdomain of that freedom domain. Please could you help with another question... During installation it asks: 'Do you want to configure integrated DNS (BIND)?' Should I use the integrated DNS or not? At the...
  17. E

I'm fed up of copying my users across everytime I create a new VM, so am about to set up a FreeIPA system at home. This will manage only the handful of users on my home LAN. I'm going to follow this guide How To Set Up Centralized Linux Authentication with FreeIPA on CentOS 7 | DigitalOcean...
  18. E

What drive configuration & FS for a home server using Proxmox and BTRFS (hopefully)

@vl1969 Here are my Samba and Webmin instructions if it's of any help. They were never intended for anyone else though so I provide no assurance whatsoever that they are fit for purpose. They are also derived from others' work - but I no longer remember where I copied stuff from so cannot...
  19. E

What drive configuration & FS for a home server using Proxmox and BTRFS (hopefully)

:o . And there's an even better example why I probably shouldn't go near BTRFS at the mo. I can't even distinguish the official status from unqualified claims of "yeah, Raid 5/6 is great". Nevertheless, as hinted at in my original post, I love the promise of BTRFS so would be really interested...
  20. E

@Ukting I went for ZFS in the end. Many of the comments in this thread pushed me that way. With ZFS it's kinda integrated into Proxmox. The only downside is the limit of 9 bind mounts per container/vm and you can't traverse any child bind mounts from a parent bind mount. So I ended up setting up...