Search results

1. C

ES Xeon Discussion

Yup. But I also don't need any of the extra accelerators and when I was buying I was aware that biggest probability for the CPU to have problems is in AMX, QAT and other new features. Keep in mind that almost no multi-threaded software scales linearly. There are exceptions, but in general it is...
  2. C

ES Xeon Discussion

Intel never published changelog for their SPR steppings, as far as I've heard, they've provided them to big customers under NDA but it was never leaked by any of them.
  3. C

ES Xeon Discussion

I was watching for cheaper SPR-WS ES/QS for last few months and so far I haven't seen anything other than QS (E3) and for almost MSRP...
  4. C

Mellanox/Nvidia Connectx-7 fw update

Quick update: I've flashed my card with FW Version: 28.33.0800 FW Release Date: 27.3.2022 Part Number: MCX753106ASHEA_DK_Ax Description: NVIDIA ConnectX-7 VPI adapter card; 200Gb/s; dual-port QSFP; single port InfiniBand and second port VPI (InfiniBand or...
  5. C

ES Xeon Discussion

From left to right: Mellanox ConnectX-5 x2, Mellanox ConnectX-6 x1, Mellanox ConnectX-5, Mellanox BlueField-2 (ConnectX-6 DPU), Mellanox ConnectX-5 - bunch of network cards as I'm using that thing as a dev machine to test network cards performance, patching some opensource projects around that...
  6. C

ES Xeon Discussion

I had a Chinese Coolerserver M97 as a temporary cooler, which looks like a U12S clone. I can also tell that while it looks similar, it is worse. Fans need to spin up faster on that, and temperatures are about +10C compared to Noctua. So unless you get it for less than 50$ per cooler, I'd...
  7. C

I will probably have QSFP56 DACs in a few weeks, unless they're delayed for any reason. But honestly, I don't expect them to behave much better. Considering that DPDK might require certain firmware in the future, unless there is a way to make it work with encrypted firmware, I'll just resell it...
  8. C

ES Xeon Discussion

In case that would be of interest to anyone, I've installed dual Noctua NH-U12S DX4677 on my Gigabyte MS73-HB1. Although it is officially incompatible, it actually works well. It is a bit hard to snap in the fan, but other than that, it is okay. I basically pushed the clip between radiators with...
  9. C

That is what I get when I'm trying to run trex test. And behavior is extremely weird, I'm not getting proper performance on a single port configuration either: Just for comparison, that is CX6 (queue_full events are unfortunately normal on line rate on cx6, it can't do more than ~220 Mpps TX...
  10. C

Yup, that I checked. So far I'm way below even 100G port speed on RX. But I eventually will get few DACs. Dev machine to develop packet generator as I'm very much unhappy with trex. So I wanted to have different generations of different cards (I have CX4, 5 and 6, BlueField2 and Intel 710...
  11. C

Cisco trex (with some custom patches, but that is a long story) and for now - just loop-back QSFP28 100G DAC (I should get QSFP112 later). I have bunch of Mellanoxes, and on CX6-DX I can easily get about 110 Mpps TX per port and 80 Mpps RX per port. On this one - 120 Mpps TX per port, but total...
  12. C

If you want to try, I can upload firmware that I have somewhere, as both ports on mine are working, but card is misbehaving in terms of small packet performance. And my card is also unencrypted, so maybe you can figure out something for your card from it.
  13. C

Have anyone managed to figure out how to update the firmware? I got myself a "cheap" CX-7 (half-the-price of retail one) that have Firmware that is older than oldest archive version: Image type: FS4 FW Version: 28.33.0751 FW Release Date: 21.3.2022 Part Number...
  14. C

ES Xeon Discussion

Yeah, unstable memory can damage system files and make it unbootable. That is the biggest problem with overclocking RAM - it affects everything. In Windows I would suggest to use either hwinfo or cpu-z to verify parameters, that usually worked better. I'm not sure that Cinebench is memory...
  15. C

ES Xeon Discussion

Try to measure bandwidth with STREAM or something like that and ensure that it is changing. For memory overclocking it is on one hand simple - you change parameters and run tests afterwards to verify it is stable. It must be memory heavy (linpack, y-cruncher) or specialized (memtest86 or...
  16. C

Sapphire / Emerald Rapids - Memory bandwidth & PCIe Root complex Discussion

So I finally got my Dual 8490H ES (E0) setup working. CPU: 2x8490H ES E0 Motherboard: Gigabyte MS73-HB1, BIOS R02 RAM: 16x16 GB Samsung 1Rx8 4800MHz Intel Memory Checker: Passmark: Genuine Intel CPU 0000%@ (x86_64) 120 cores @ 1601 MHz | 251.5 GiB RAM Number of Processes: 240 | Test...
  17. C

ES Xeon Discussion

You can enable comments and that should enable suggestion mode, then you will be able to accept or reject suggestions. When I was building my machine, I created a document where I did a small write-up on what I need. It is slightly specific to Switzerland (as some links for hw lead to swiss...
  18. C

ES Xeon Discussion

Gigabyte MS73-HB1, 5 Fans and 6 Mellanox'es in PCIe (they are mostly different, each Mellanox adds 20-30W to power consumption, they never sleep and their power consumption doesn't change based on usage), 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe drive (single as OS). So yeah, 330W is pretty good for it, but...
  19. C

ES Xeon Discussion

I'm running Linux on that machine and mostly default BIOS settings. If I disable deep sleep (should be somewhat equivalent of high perf) then without load system consumes around 550W.
  20. C

ES Xeon Discussion

Yeah, and I got mine Dual Xeon 8490H ES E0s and the whole thing consume around 330W idle. That is way too much for me to comfortably start without heatsink. That can get motherboard or CPU or both damaged. Also, at least as far as I see on mine, they don't report correct temperature (they...