Search results

1. JDM

high capacity, high throughput storage platform

I have a lot of benchmarks for big quantities spinning rust, but unfortunately most of is running GPFS and is configured in a way that doesn't seem suited to your need/budget. I do have some ZFS benchmarks from when I did some testing on cheap disk solutions for a smaller project using Western...
  2. JDM

Intel Optane 800P 58GB and 118GB M.2 SSD Modules Released

Now these are getting to the size where they are acceptably sized for Linux OS drives. Will be moving to these for future custom server builds for sure. The 900P's have been great for VM hosting drives in hypervisor builds. The place where I'm looking for more capacity is for databases :)
  3. JDM

Intel Optane 900p SSD Released in AIC and U.2 Form Factors

@S-F It's pretty awesome, I have mirrored Optane 900P's in my "lab" hypervisor at home running 14 VMs, not even breaking a sweat. Rebooting a VM almost looks like a network blip as it comes back so fast. The database guys at work love it, and I'm trying to work it into the budget as metadata...
  4. JDM

RAM Check on Xeon Silver Build

Following up on this after having a fair amount of time with this machine, it is performing phenomenally. I don't have the heaviest of CPU workloads, but the 4114 has been more than enough for my needs. The 900P Optane drives have been out of this world. It's at the point with the VM's...
  5. JDM

Chassis Activity Light Behavior

So I have a Supermicro SC216 chassis with a BPN-SAS2-216EL1 expander. The chassis houses a VM server that has the fast SSDs in PCIe slots and the bulk storage (for things like surveillance VM storage, nextcloud VM storage, etc) loaded into the 2.5" front drive slots. I chose 250GB WD Blue...
  6. JDM

Red Hat RHEL 7.4 Introduces Support for ARM Servers

Hopefully this will come to CentOS now at some point? @T_Minus You could run some Debian flavored distributions before, but no RHEL/CentOS/Fedora (from my understanding)
  7. JDM

Interesting Proxmox Disk Usage

Ahh, thanks I see it now, thanks! I've used Proxmox and ZFS for a while now (separately), but had only previously used Proxmox with NFS or Gluster mounted storage. Is there a way to change this behavior for ZFS storage? Long shot as I'm guessing this is just the way Proxmox does things. I...
  8. JDM

Interesting Proxmox Disk Usage

So I recently stood up a Promox 5.1 hypervisor with ZFS mirror Intel 900p Optane disks for VM local disk storage, and some 2.5" spinning drives using raidz2. Pools are fine and healthy, and Proxmox is seeing them and using them with no issue. However when I run my df -h on the hypervisor as I...
  9. JDM

The Million IOPS Club Thread (Or more than 1 Million IOPS)

These are now (after raw device benchmarking) in a mirrored zpool to host VMs, will let you know how that goes as soon as I get time...which may not be until this weekend.
  10. JDM

Here those are below, took that benchmark as well but figured people wouldn't want a single post to be so long :) Config: [global] thread ioengine=libaio direct=1 buffered=0 group_reporting=1 rw=randwrite bs=4k iodepth=64 numjobs=2 size=50% [job1] filename=/dev/nvme1n1 [job2]...
  11. JDM

This is a home project, I'm using the Unifi line. A major upgrade from my Apple Airport Extreme AC, which to its credit has served me well for 4 years and been rock solid, but was severely limiting as I'm now running 10Gb :) Just got a house and wiring it up with network cable, now using 2 AC...
  12. JDM

@bitrot Gave good advice on the CPU, otherwise what you gave looks good. I haven't gotten to building the VMs this machine will host. I'm simultaneously overhauling my network to Ubiquiti (long time coming) and am getting all that stuff straightened out here first before I begin spinning up...
  13. JDM

Reviving this old thread now that we have some affordable Optane from Intel System: Custom Built Supermicro RAM: 96GB RAM CPU: 1x Xeon Silver 4114 OS: Debian Stretch 9.2 (Proxmox 5.1) OS Drives: 1 x Intel 600p 128GB Drives being tested: 2x Intel 280 AIC Optane SSDs Capacity being tested: 560GB...
  14. JDM

Intel Optane 900p SSD Released in AIC and U.2 Form Factors

Concur with this, picked up two 280GB AIC cards this morning for $390/ea. though I have seen them fluctuate widely for some reason, maybe Newegg is still tweaking the listings?
  15. JDM

As long as availability is in a reasonable time frame here, I'll be putting Optane in this build Intel launches its next-gen Optane SSD 900P SSD
  16. JDM

So I got RAM in today and things seem to be fine in that regard, however I'm not able to boot from the M.2 PCIe x 4 slot on the X11SPH-nCTPF. Was able to see the Intel 600p disk to update its firmware and to install CentOS 7 onto (for testing, waiting for Proxmox 5.1 to drop here soon...and...
  17. JDM

Thanks for the amendment/update! You ever find that part number? Just curious as I'm probably ordering this in the morning, if not no worries.
  18. JDM

Thanks, that sounds encouraging! I'll go ahead and pick up the Supermicro sticks I linked to since they're a bit cheaper and in stock. @Patrick Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I can get an upgrade at some point, good to have that tidbit in my back pocket :)
  19. JDM

Build’s Name: Xeon Scaleable/NVME/(Optane?) Proxmox Build Operating System/ Storage Platform: Proxmox (Debian) CPU: Intel Xeon Silver 4114 Motherboard: Supermicro X11SPH-nCTPF Chassis: Supermicro SC216 Drives: 128GB Intel 600p (Hypervisor OS); 2 x (900p Optane or P3520 NVME)? for VM's OS; 24 x...
  20. JDM

Supermicro X11SPH-nCTF ATX Storage Motherboard Review

I like wiredzone for parts, though they didn't have the mobo on the site yet (they have good pricing on the CPUs though, $707 was the lowest I found for the 4114). The case I'm using is a Supermicro 2U 24- 2.5" bay chassis. Room for plenty of drives and offers the slots for PCIe NVME.