Search results

1. F

SanDisk CloudSpeed Eco 1.92TB 2.5" SATA $120

You must have a faster system then mine then - urandom doesn't seem like a fast source on my E5 v4 cpu at least. root@prox-marty:~# dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/null bs=4096000 count=1000 1000+0 records in 1000+0 records out 4096000000 bytes (4.1 GB, 3.8 GiB) copied, 14.257 s, 287 MB/s...
  2. F

EXPIRED HGST 6TB 7.2K RPM 3.5" SAS 12Gbps HDD $16.50 + sh

At that price it is better to get one of the $40 8TB drives (helium). I have 48x 8TB and only lost two over the years.
  3. F

Since SATA3 only supports up to 600MB/s, I think something has to be wrong with your benchmarking method? I usually use raw DD from /dev/zero without compression with different block sizes to test - not a foolproof method, but at least gives me an idea - and is something I have used as an...
  4. F

I got my two disks and I can't say that I'm impressed with the speed. Feel like its better to focus on $70 Intel 1.6tb PCIe/NVMe with 1.2GB/s instead of these with 250MB/s for $40... Of course PCIe slots are limited - but then it's just a matter of how many servers you have :)
  5. F

40 Supermicro 3.5" tray for $50

I did this also - ordered 80, ordered a LOT of screws - and then contacted the seller to be informed that "of course they included screws". Oh well - none of it has arrived yet....
  6. F

I bought two last week @ $47 ea from part-met-servers (now sold out) - will test them when they arrive. I later kind of regret not buying some Toshiba HK4R instead seeing that some have problems with xfer speeds.
  7. F

EU P3605 - 168€

One of mine had about 1.5TB wear after 2.5 years in service - haven't tested the other yet. Maybe only tested and left alone unused in some server - or maybe it was just a functional test/delete before sale. Pretty good deal!
  8. F

EU P3605 - 168€

Wow that was not a lot of wear. Hope mine also is like that!
  9. F

EU P3605 - 168€

I ordered two of these now. It seems like a good deal to me.
  10. F

iSCSI storage for store backups

I do not think attacking Gea who is really respected here will get you anywhere, at least not after that 100% informative and correct comment. I for one would not like to be your customer, viewing the security of backups like that. And by end of May you better check if using that old tech is the...
  11. F

Introducing VMware vSphere 6.7!

Gea, can you tell abit more on the hardware you tested this on. I only get "Failed - A general system error occurred: Error creating disk Function not implemented" when testing this on a LSI controller.
  12. F

iSCSI storage for store backups

Software based? So you feel like the HP units don’t have software? It takes about 15 minutes to get OmniOS/napp-it on a generic server up and running with iSCSI, SMB and NFS. Give it two disks parity and it will run for years without maintenance...
  13. F

Introducing VMware vSphere 6.7!

I was just about to post almost the same screenshot now after upgrading! I just ran the command below and was up and running in no time. Single L5630 on a X8DTL-F esxcli software profile update -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml -p...
  14. F

"Njord" Fileserver Build/OCD offending

Turn the harddrives 180 degrees. Create custom power cables :) Drop the expander and just use two M1015 equivalent or so...
  15. F

EU Super Micro Supermicro SuperServer 8016B-6F At ~ 350€ new!!

I find it so strange that everyone from the UK loves to send out stuff out of the country - most even deduct VAT for Norway. Germany not so much... But I imagine this would not exactly be a silent build...
  16. F

L5640's for $14.45/each

It feels strange to pay $40 to cool a $15 CPU...
  17. F

Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

As a private customer I don't think that is possible, sorry :) I ended up at around 33€ each.
  18. F

Super Cheap Hitachi UltraStar C10k600 450GB 2.5" TCG Encryption Hard Drives

Since I've paid 25% tax on these, the price will be to high for EU I guess. They are great, I just have way to many spinners at the moment...
  19. F

What do you do w/ your old hard disks for disposal

I sold my 7 yr old 2tb samsung drives (30+ drives) the past months at almost the same price that I paid at the time (before all the prices went skyhigh). No problems with them at all. Cheap storage...