Search results

1. A

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

SATA vs SAS - Other people on here have mentioned that SATA drives can be used, provided they are plugged into the 'bottom controller'. What is the 'bottom controller' please? In my head, I'm imagining that this means that you must use the bottom two of the four ports when connecting the JBOD.
  2. A

Ah sorry, I confused you for BrassFox. Thank you for your help, I'll bear what you said in mind.
  3. A

Thanks for the clarification, that makes a lot of sense. Ah, so that's why you recommended a pcie 3.0 card instead of a pcie 2.0 card, is that right? So the pcie 3 bus would be used instead of the pcie 2 bus?
  4. A

"The LSI SAS 9206-16e HBA provides sixteen lanes of 6Gb/s SAS storage connectivity and is matched with eight lanes of PCIe 3.0 8Gb/s host connectivity." So if I have this right, each physical connection between the JBOD and the card has 4 lanes. Each of those lanes can carry 6 Gb/s, so 24Gb/s...
  5. A

Brilliant idea, I'll do that, thank you. As a side note, is there any concern of bottle-necking the hard drives? 15 drives per 6Gb/s port, each drive peaks at 258MiB*1.048 / 1000 * 8 = 2.16 Gb/s. 2.16 * 15 = 32.4 Gb/s > 6Gb/s The 32 Gb/s is a theoretical maximum, but even so...
  6. A

Updated image for anyone else who finds this helpful:
  7. A

Thank you very very much, I wasn't aware of any of that. Yes, I'm using Truenas Scale, and according to here, you're right, it doesn't support multipathing. Is it worth changing to another OS so I can use multipathing? Also, does the fact that there is a loop in each of the daisy chains impact...
  8. A

Thanks! - Any thoughts on the rails or the ability to add more JBODs to the chain?
  9. A

Would someone be able to run a sanity check over these items I'm about to purchase to make sure they would work together please? 3 times EMC KTN-STL3 45 times Seagate Exos X18 Enterprise 16TB SAS 2 times LSI 9200-8e 6Gbps 8 times SFF-8088 to SFF-8088 3 times 100-560-184 Rail Kit (I have a 29...