Search results

1. A

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Here is a picture of what I did for standard rackmount. I basically cut them off using a Dremel Ultra-Saw (awesome piece of hardware, BTW). I am stacking them 6 high on a heavy-duty full-depth shelf, with some side-bracing. Power-conversion to external (non-original) power supplies has been...
  2. A

I note that the price of the chassis sold by pdneiman on the 'bay has dropped to $189 each. Shipping is still high (especially if you only order one unit), but if you are in CA, at least no tax. I ordered a bunch from him last week (at the old price, grrrr), and received everything in good...
  3. A

RE fitting into a standard 19 inch rack: I have decided to go old-skool and just cut off a few inches of the disk/PSU bay using an angle grinder to reduce the width of the chassis to 17 inches. It is then able to fit into a 4 post 19 inch rack with a full depth shelf. I am planning to stack...
  4. A

I am running mine with a cover (home-made) on top and no ducts, but under stress the rear CPU temp is really high (low 80s Celsius), and the fans are still running slow, although I'm seeing some evidence of CPU throttling (using i7z in Linux). I'm still looking at how to ramp them up in...
  5. A

Thanks for the pic; I tried some of the "clip-on" plastic hdd rails, but it turned out to be a few millimeters too narrow. I'll see if I can find some other rails/trays to try.
  6. A

Can you share the part number and/or pics of the trays?
  7. A

No, sorry, I bought the $199 version from esioinc and received: No risers DID receive 10 GbE mezzanine No disk trays No air shroud No mobo BIOS battery (although this was probably someone being overzealous when stripping the memory and CPUs) I meant to say that pdneiman is the one with the...
  8. A

Yes, mine was from them too; I got the $199 version, which did not come with risers or disk trays. This wasn't surprising to me (despite the pic) because they sell a $299 version that explicitly says "W. Riser". I am a bit bummed about not having disk trays, however. Edit: Actually, seems I...
  9. A

While on the subject; mine are ex-risers; does anyone have the part numbers/replacements for those? Also, mine came WITHOUT the BIOS battery backup coin cells. I'm assuming they are just CR2032 cells, can someone confirm?
  10. A

I have a Quanta one; midplane power board is P/N: DAF03TH16D0 (Rev D). Mine came without disk trays. Does anyone have part numbers for them (or an alternative that can be used instead)?
  11. A

Supermicro X10SDV-TP8F

Ah; that is worth considering, although the pricing seems to be around the same as the dual X10SDV-TLN4F (Xeon D 1541) version, which is quite a bit faster, which seems to make little sense. There is also the density factor to consider; the X10SDV-TLN4F is mini-ITX, and has a definite leg up...
  12. A

Supermicro X10SDV-TP8F

Sorry, you are correct of course; but SM has no 8 core (or 12 core?) Xeon D version with SFP+; just 2 and 4 (and now 16) cores. The 1540/1541 is really the sweet spot for a balanced combo of memory / CPU power / price. The X10SDV-7TP8F (16 core) version with SFP+ looks great but the pricing...
  13. A

Supermicro X10SDV-TP8F

Not to thread-crap; but there's no dedicated thread for the Gigabyte MB10-DS3 / MB10-DS4 boards yet. Obviously this is more interesting than the SM because of the SFP+. Does anyone know of a US reseller (or even Taiwan reseller) that has them in stock? Everywhere in the US seems to be...