Search results

1. S

Mezzanine and Backplane Connectors

A few tests and some initial results: Test 1 - 1 Blade, 1 PSU, 1 Gbe pass-through module - no OA module, no Fans - psu turns on and supplies 12V to the chassis, psu led green - blade power led amber -> standby - no signs of life in the pass-through module or Insight display (was to be expected...
  2. S

Yes, that will fit the bill nicely, 1 Gbit towards the backplane and 10/100/1000 to the outside world. Would work nicely with your 100Mbit gear. Correct, if you want to use both NICs you will need two pass-through modules. It has possibly to do with redundancy, loosing one module would not...
  3. S

I think that the fan signal emulation might be a little trickier than that. The OA module is controlling both power, thermal and interconnect modules through a I2C bus. So to fake the presence of the fan you would need to tap into the I2C bus and generate the replies the OA is expecting. I found...
  4. S

Aaah, those US prices...:(, no such luck at this side of the pond. But hang in there @tim.yoshi, you'll never know when one of those might just fall into your lap. I was on-off hunting for a c7000 chassis for at least 2 years but had the same problem as you, shipping it would have doubled it's...
  5. S

Judging by the lack of updates I'd say that @b778 either a) took the three-hour drive to pick up the chassis or b) parted the blade and headed on towards new adventures. My money is on option b, but I've been wrong before... As for your question, if you're happy with running it as a "regular...
  6. S

BIOS Update Disaster Intel S2600CP2J

A little late to the party but... Did you try the recovery with only the bare essentials on the motherboard ? E.g. the absolutely minimum setup to boot the motherboard (1 CPU / 1 stick of RAM, both tested to be good) and no PCIe cards or hard drives connected. BIOS updating / recovery can be...
  7. S

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

@McSquizzy: Open Compute WindMill v2 Motherboard ;)
  8. S

Clarifying the X9SCL, CPU and ECC ram compatiblity

Stumbled upon this page while Googling: AMI BIOS Beep Codes - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki Seems that Supermicro X9:s use UEFI-based Aptio 4 firmware. Depending on the duration of the beeps it could be 4x short => Wrong memory installed 4x long => CPU not supported, update BIOS
  9. S

Intel S2600CP2 - not sure how to troubleshoot

Hmm... don't think the case fans should play any part that early in the boot process. I reread your original post and discovered that I had misunderstood one thing. I was under the impression that you got all the way through the DXE Phase (stopping just before INT19). But in fact you never got...
  10. S

Open Compute WindMill v2 Motherboard

Brilliant..... simply brilliant !! :D
  11. S

Intel S2600CP2 - not sure how to troubleshoot

A few questions to get the ball rolling: - When you received the board, was the CPU:s and memory installed already or did you install it yourself ? - If the CPU:s weren't installed, was the CPU socket protected with the plastic covers or were they exposed ? - If the sockets weren't protected...
  12. S

Don't know if you have stumbled upon this document in your searches: http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/d/daf0afed-5379-47a6-bb05-4dfabb13f4b3.pdf It's the technology brief of the C3000 enclosure. It won't give you the pin out you're looking for, but it explains (briefly) the inner workings of...
  13. S

Something along those lines yes, but with a twist. At the moment just looking into the plausibility of a few ideas.
  14. S

Thanks for the measurements. Now I got something to work with. And good to know about the +5V output, one of those might actually be the PG signal.
  15. S

Your best bet is the narrow "fingers" on the left (top) and right (bottom). If there's a +5V it will be on one/some of them. Btw, I found info on how to power up those HP PSU:s when they're not in a HP server over at RC Groups.com: RC Groups - View Single Post - A simple high quality 12Volt...
  16. S

Ok, so I have some disturbingly crazy ideas bouncing around in my head regarding this. Any chance @macrules34 , @novegg4 or anybody else lucky enough to own these could measure the total width of 2 nodes side-by-side ?
  17. S

@novegg4 : Both of those VRM:s are more than adequate for the power good signal (as it's logic signaling we're probably talking sub 50mA currents). But if you're planning on using the HP PSU there's a very very good chance that it's has a +5v output too (even if it doesn't get mentioned in the...
  18. S

:D SWEET !!:D Give yourself some credit, though, for meticulously testing all the different combinations. Now if only Digikey/Mouser could be persuaded to sell us smaller quantities of the FCI connector ;)
  19. S

Not necessarily meaningless. The low resistance on the MB tells that it's probably not much more than a wire trace between D1 and D2. What's puzzling is with such a low resistance between D1 and D2 on the MB any voltage present on the D1 will be pulled to ground. So why doesn't grounding D2...
  20. S

Here's a thought: What if pin D1 is polled on both the MB and the MP ? I initially thought that only the MP was interested in if anything is seated in the socket (so it could properly delay the start up) Maybe there's a "double check" on the MB to make sure that the board really is seated...