Search results

1. C

MSL4048 with LTO6 6250 - wrong drive type

It did work out great, given the hiccups in the process. I'm now 2 days in testing and learning, and it works, but there are so many unknowns still, it is crazy... Because the idea is to integrate this tape library into scripted actions I am trying to go as bare metal as possible, so no "backup...
  2. C

Quick update, I was happily surprised that the seller for the drive I could not get working, the 721592-001 one, accepted a return and full refund. I also received the other drive and it is detected as valid on the library, and I can see both the tape drive and the library detected on the...
  3. C

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I was obviously joking, but from memory and a cursory search, I remember there being issues with a DAC cable not being detected, and that small snippet of this huge thread does post a lot of details about adapter eeprom formats and how to manipulate them, I didn't try to find the start of that...
  4. C

What, you didn't read through all of them before posting? Everyone does that just like I did, right? :)
  5. C

Well, the seller of the original drive says it was pulled from an MSL2024, which I guess means it should work with my MSL4048, so something is malfunctioning. Not ideal... I will try to test the drive by itself asap, maybe they just got confused with the provenance.
  6. C

Fingers crossed, otherwise I'll likely scrap the whole plan. I'm an "old techy" person, a coder by trade, but I'm always on the hunt for new things to try, and the only time I interacted with tape libraries before was in the University of Dundee, in Scotland. The IT head there was a colleague...
  7. C

And I forgot about this one in the previous post. I do have version 6.5 (which I believe is the latest) of LTT, but the only thing I can do with it is scan hardware, since the tape is powered down I cannot access the library through the SAS connection.
  8. C

I just double checked this last one I ordered, it is the 706824-001, so that's good. To be honest, at this point I would be happy to find out where the drive I have would work, so I can sell it without misleading anyone. This does bring me back to the plan B discussed above, buying a different...
  9. C

Not quite sure what the "2" is after one of the MSL4048 lines, but from looking at this it feels like it should work. I did remove the lock before my initial powerup, and it was correctly placed during shipping. With that I would not expect to be getting these errors, although the one thing...
  10. C

Today I opened up the library and watched it do the power up without drives, the picker does a whole cycle, checks the whole range of movement and scans all slots, no problems or errors reported. I then inserted the drive, booted up again, same thing, no issues. The drive's led blinks at first...
  11. C

Just confirming what I had previously asserted, I removed the drive, finally decided to update the date/time which helped know which logs are from this last effort, reset the library to defaults which reboots it and the logs show exactly one warning, the "no drive installed" that one expects...
  12. C

That might have been my source. I wouldn't mind just swapping LCCs, but the fact remains that I wouldn't know which flavor to use in replacement for the HP one, and as far as I understand it, and you pointed it out, this HP unit I have will not be compatible with any other flavor without some...
  13. C

Well, thank you, it is nice to be here :) In all seriousness I did do my due diligence before deciding to embark on this journey, but I still get amazed at how thickly user-unfriendly anything "business hardware" is. And HP is really up there in the making things harder for no reason department...
  14. C

Cables are not the issue, first thing I did was connect the AP to the POE injector using a whole new set of cables, and when that worked out I reuse the same known good cables to try in the switch again, which failed. Show log show nothing, really. I have both ports 13 and 14 with POE powered...
  15. C

Hello all, This is a copy of a thread I opened on reddit's r/DataHoarder, just hedging my bets here as I am really out of my league with this one. I have gotten some sweet deals on ebay that may be turning sour, and I really need your insight to assert where my problem lays; I got myself an HP...
  16. C

Looks fine, right? SSH@puft-prince>show chassis The stack unit 1 chassis info: Power supply 1 (AC - PoE) present, status ok Model Number: 23-0000142-02 Serial Number: RT8 Firmware Ver: A Power supply 1 Fan Air Flow Direction: Front to Back Power supply 2 not...
  17. C

Hey, First off, the obligatory thank you to fohdeesha et al, it is amazing the effort applied here to avoid e-waste and help the community out, it is highly appreciated and does make one "do better" overall. With that off my chest, I bought a couple of 6610PE units from ebay, followed the...