Search results

1. Prophes0r

Unexpectedly slow SSD pools using Proxmox 8.3 > TrueNAS SCALE 23.10

Update: There was clearly an issue with write caching muddying the numbers. So, I tried a few things to get rid of that problem. Restrict the VM RAM to try eliminating write caching. (Drives still have their own cache but I WANT those numbers) 4GB still seemed to cache a LOT. And it crashed...
  2. Prophes0r

Yes, that was pretty clear. But even when taking the memory out of the picture the numbers are still really weird. I'm testing multiple new configurations and none of them make sense.
  3. Prophes0r

System Host - Proxmox 8.3.1 EPYC 7302p Supermicro H11SSL-i 128GB ECC DDR4 3200 118GB Optane system drive VM - TrueNAS SCALE 23.10 8 cores 64GB RAM Passthrough - EPYC SATA #1 - HDDs Passthrough - NVMe drives Drives HDD 10TB HGST 7200RPM SATA - HUH721010ALE601 SSD 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus...
  4. Prophes0r

SOLVED Mellanox SX6036 + LR4 Transceivers does not work

Dirt cheap transceivers that should work without attenuators? Why use MPO/MTP fiber when you can get LC/UPC fiber and $3.50 100G LR4 Lite transceivers? @llowrey Are you saying you modded the SX6036 switch ACIC firmware to accept "high power" transceivers on all ports when used in conjunction...
  5. Prophes0r

Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

The server this is from uses a PCIe switch to get 10x PCIe3x8 links. But, to answer your question, what about a load of cheap pro-sumer NVMe drives? PCIe 3.0 is ~1GB/sec per lane. If I had the choice, I would ABSOLUTELY bifurcate my x16 ports into: x2/x2/x2/x2/x2/x2/x2/x2 or even...
  6. Prophes0r

More shady stuff from pfsense

They pressured their non-corporate clients away from the community edition with the promise of free licenses, then rug-pulled the 'free'. The very idea that 'free' means a company doesn't make money off something is some stupid C-suite crap. "Free" stuff that co-exists in a paid ecosystem STILL...
  7. Prophes0r

New Contender for the cheapest 4U full depth rack chassis? [$110 USD shipped?] [RACKOWL 13 Bay 4U Server Chassis]

Sounds like you got a killer deal. It isn't very helpful to others looking to get a case today though. That's why I posted this one. If you need a 4U full-depth chassis now and can't find a good deal locally or at a recycler, this seems to be a great option.
  8. Prophes0r

New Contender for the cheapest 4U full depth rack chassis? [$110 USD shipped?] [RACKOWL 13 Bay 4U Server Chassis]

For a 26"(66cm) deep chassis? The next closest in price is the Rosewill at $250 which is usually on sale for $220ish. There are plenty of 15", 17", and 20" deep ones for just over $100 but not the big boys.
  9. Prophes0r

I have an RSV-4500U (full 26" length not the 20" one) which cost me $250 and now are on-sale for $220. There are some 4u chassis that are similarly priced but they all seem to be 15", 17", or 20" depth. The thing that caught my eye about this one was the full 26" depth, which doesn't show up...
  10. Prophes0r

Note on Updates: I will be updating this OP as I get the units in to provide pictures and my opinion on them. They are scheduled to arrive on the 26th of October. Update 1: Less than 30 minutes after posting this they arrived? What? How? They appear to be real too. Nothing jumps out as wrong...
  11. Prophes0r

[Fiber] Does anyone have instructions for installing this type of fiber connector?

Nahh I'm East Coast US. New England. Thanks for the offer though. I'm just getting frustrated because I happened to start the project on the first day of a Chinese holiday, so all my contact emails and messages are sitting waiting to be answered. It's cool though. I definitely still want to...
  12. Prophes0r

[Fiber] Does anyone have instructions for installing this type of fiber connector?

I'd considered that, but all the one's I've seen in videos that need to be epoxied don't have nearly as much crimping and rings as these do. The ones you both posted won't work because the threaded part that holds the fiber from pulling out of the connector requires exact jacket sizes. That's...
  13. Prophes0r

@Sconk I'm looking for instructions on how to use the type of connector I linked. Not just any fiber quick connector. There are dozens of videos for the screw-on ones, the clip-on ones, and many MANY fusable ones. I need instructions for how to put together these particular crimp-on ones.
  14. Prophes0r

Preface I've been planning on running copper and fiber in my home for a while. I really need a decent network closet for the hot/loud switches to live. I recently made a major score while dumpster diving which included all the Cat6a I will need. I also found a bunch of jank fiber and couplers...
  15. Prophes0r

[Fiber] Using dumpster-dived FTTH fiber with adapters, re-terminating it with purchased ends, or buy new? Student/no budget.

I found the spec for the fiber I've got. https://tiitech.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheets/fiber-cable-assemblies/MDUdropcable.pdf I'm seeing these duplex kits on aliexpress. 50pcs for $45 shipped. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804977381633.html Thoughts on adapting one to the other...
  16. Prophes0r

Can I attach a 10GBase-LR to QSFP-40G-LR4 (CWDM)?

@ky56 Ahh ok. I THINK I have a Mellanox switch not an EMC one. I haven't actually connected anything to it to see what it is running. I may not need to do anything other than "License" it. I'll need to check now actually... It boots with MLNX-OS. It's an OLD version though. I'm having the...
  17. Prophes0r

The LR optics are for a few reasons. Single mode fiber. If I am going to run fiber all over my house, I don't want to have to do it again in the next 15-20 years. Most of the REALLY high-speed stuff all needs SM fiber. Lots of datacenters also followed this idea so they can simply upgrade their...
  18. Prophes0r

@Jason Antes The breakout cable is assuming the direct connection doesn't just work. (I wasn't talking about a box) I have similar hardware and 40G CWDM4 optics. I ordered a few regular 10G 1311nm optics to see if I can get a direct link. The whole question here has been whether or not CWDM4...
  19. Prophes0r

HA! I literally got the switch in my door about 8 hours ago. I checked it for major dings, plugged it in and let it sort itself out until the red lights went away, then made some food. ...and then lost power for 6 hours... I haven't started it back up yet because it's late and I had to spin...
  20. Prophes0r

They actually use fancy optic coatings with constructive/destructive interference. Even cooler than prisms IMO. If your stuff is close, you can get a "breakout" DAC cable. They are usually $20-$30 for 1-3m. If not...you still have 12 ports to work with. If this works like I think it will (I...