Search results

1. S

What OS to use?

Thanks for the reply. D
  2. S

What OS to use?

Thanks from the reply. I intended to connect all the 'NAS' drives to the onboard SAS controller. Do you run esxi from a HDD or usb stick? Do you use Nappit?
  3. S

What OS to use?

Sure or hyper-v. I'm new to both and partial to which ever is easier to get up and running!
  4. S

What OS to use?

Greetings, I would like to build a home file server that will store movies and music. It will only serve Mac clients that are all running Yosemite. I am keen to run ZFS and I may consider running a Win 8 VM. Below is the hardware I have available. I am looking for suggestions on how best to set...
  5. S

Media File Server - Advice sought

Well that knocked the wind out of my sails! Didn't notice that. I thought there were 2 x8 slots. None of the new i3 Supermicro boards have many PCI-E slots. Can I put the LSI 9211 in the x16 slot, (which is actually an x8)? Any MOBO suggests...
  6. S

Thx, I'll check that out.
  7. S

Thanks for the reply. Sounds reasonable enough! How big a thumbdrive is reqd? 4GB or less? I don't think the Supermicro X9SCA-F has an internal usb slot like some boards do. Is there a workaround to get it inside or do you just hang it if the back? Also, how come you don't create all...
  8. S

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I understand. ESXi is on a stand alone USB stick? How come it is not on the SSD?
  9. S

Build’s Name: Media File Server (MFS) Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi 5, OpenIndiana VM CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 $280.00 Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCA-F Motherboard $ 280.00 Chassis: TBD or Norco RPC-4224 4U Server Case $412.00 Drives: 6 - Western...
  10. S

Is FreeBSD the best way to go?

Thank you for all your help! I'm just looking up all the gear you suggested and will post a H/ware list.
  11. S

Did some reading at napp-it.org. Seems simple enough, fits my needs and the flexibility of multiple VMs means I can pick the best OS+application for each particular function. Thanks again for the tip. Napp-org put a lot of emphasis on hardware selection. I would like to get some...
  12. S

Thanks for the reply. I have no experience with ESXi. I'm reasonably good with windows desktops. I'll do a little research on that.
  13. S

Greetings I would like to build a ZFS based home server that does the following tasks: File server generally Backup 2 Windows desktops DHCP server Firewall DNS caching Provide remote access Time machine back ups Needs to run Sabnzbd Store Mp3, Flac, Wav files and serve them to iTunes...