Search results

1. M

Ethernet coupler on a POE run?

Probably? However, it's another point of failure/degredation, or something you have to access if troubleshooting an issue. Personally, I'd add a amount of buffer to the length I thought I would need to account for calculation error, with the buffer being longer the more uncertain I am about the...
  2. M

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

That's my expectation (RJ45-Switch, USB-PC), the data sheet says the management port on the 6610 is RJ45. Is there a USB-C port on it? The clearest picture I found shows a 10101 RJ45 port on the back (serial connection) next to the managment port and the QSFP's.
  3. M

I think the issue with the cables were on 7k series devices that had USB-C form factor ports for console access that didn't use standard USB-C pinouts. I believe it would try and negotiate power over some of the pins and fry something. As far as I know, any router serial cable with an RJ45 end...
  4. M

pfSense box NIC question.

There's no right or wrong regarding L3 at the router or in the switch, it's more a matter of best use of the hardware available. If you have an L3 switch capable of line-speed switching of vlans, do it there. If you have a vlan aware L2 switch, then you can do it at the router provided you have...
  5. M

pfSense box NIC question.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, if you just want to provide 2 * 1Gb (WAN & LAN) then it doesn't really matter what nic you choose that matches that. Gbe has been around a long time, maybe just check for BSD drivers to ensure compatibility with pfSense and buy whatever fits. For reasons...
  6. M

As per the spec sheet, the 6430 models and the 6450-c12 are 1gb sfp. The 6450 24 & 48 (P and non-P) models are 2x10gb, 2x1gb by default. The 2x1gb are software unlockable to 10gb if you follow the instructions from the first post. Probably just make sure it's not a mislabeled 6430?
  7. M

You could always segment SSH access onto a dedicated management vlan if you want to lock it down. Essentially, apply ACLs to the VE's for your device vlans that deny access to http/https/ssh/telnet to the VE IPs and the switch IP. Or go nuts and use a different RFC1918 range for the management...
  8. M

Hello all. Just wanted to drop a message to thank everyone for the information in this thread to date. I stumbled across this a couple weeks back while I was investigating PoE switches to power some IP cameras I had just purchased. Without finding this, I don't know if I would have started down...