Search results

1. S

ZFS performance host vs VM

Ryzen 5 5600 6-Core Processor I know, but I will rarely need a lot of performance, so I think these will suffice That's probably what it will come down to if I can't fix the big performance differences in the VM What would your expectations be? I've just done some more research and found...
  2. S

ZFS performance host vs VM

Hi, I am currently testing my...
  3. S

server hardware for private use ceph cluster

This will be a backup server, so yes, a few days of downtime would be acceptable. Which SAS PCIe card is actually recommended? (If relevant for this question, this card is to be used on a consumer mainboard with an Intel i750 CPU)
  4. S

And what advantage do I have with this virtualized Ceph cluster with only one server? I have more of a problem with this when it comes to reliability. Thanks for the hint!
  5. S

PC for Proxmox / Backups

It's not a question of whether to get rid of the old PC or not, but whether to buy a new mainboard / CPU / RAM and install it in the old case, or buy a new Mini PC I actually come from Germany and 40W is definitely too expensive here. We currently pay around 0.33$/kWh, so that's 350kWh per year...
  6. S

PC for Proxmox / Backups

Thanks for the link. But to get better warranty support, I'm willing to pay the extra on Amazon. I also have an old case with space for a micro ATX mainboard. It currently has an approx. 10-year-old AMD mainboard installed, but this PC requires approx. 40W in idle mode. Proxmox is installed...
  7. S

Hi, thanks for the answer again. Yes, I'll think about whether it's TrueNAS, something else, or just creating a ZFS pool manually. In the last case I will probably use Debian 12. What I still have to think about is the most efficient way to transfer the data from the primary server to the...
  8. S

Hi @Sean Ho and all others. Sorry for the very late reply. I've had a lot of stress over the last few months But now the stress has been significantly reduced and I finally want to implement my backup concept. I have also thought about my requirements again and will probably not use Ceph for...
  9. S

PC for Proxmox / Backups

Hi, I would like to buy / build a PC to store backups from different smartphones / PCs. I will also install Proxmox on this PC, first of all to install the software that I will use to create the backups: Seafile. If the performance is sufficient, I will also create further VMs for e.g...
  10. S

Hi, thank you for your answers. I forgot to mention that it should not be 4 hdds per server, but that I have a total of 4 hdds. Yes I am aware that I must have at least 3 servers. For the start it is planned to use one hdd and 1-2 nvmes per server. If needed I will add one more HDD, that...
  11. S

Hello, I am looking for hardware for a Ceph cluster for private use. Initially, this should serve for learning and if it runs well, then this should be a stage of my backup concept. The servers should consume as little power as possible (I'm aiming for max 50W at idle) and should also not be...