Search results

1. Z

Investigating Implausible Bloomberg Supermicro Stories

I think if there were any truth to the Bloomberg story, especially if the government knew about it, there would be a certain Twitter user be tweeting very loudly about it and blaming his predecessor for not protecting the country.
  2. Z

Bloomberg Reports China Infiltrated the Supermicro Supply Chain We Investigate

Well, Apple's statement does not confirm an attack at all, it specifically says the malware on the server was an accident.
  3. Z

New Intel Xeon W Processors for Professional Workstations Announced

Sure, marketing makes the most sense. But gamers mostly need high frequency not high core counts, so 8 or 10 cores maximum maybe. The rest of the i9 CPUs seem to be mostly suited for workstation use.
  4. Z

New Intel Xeon W Processors for Professional Workstations Announced

What is the reason for the X299 existence, especially the i9? This Xeon line is in essence the non castrated version of it. Wouldn't it make more sense to sell just the Xeon version and market it to workstation users and very high end consumers?
  5. Z

Xeon Platinum/Silver/Gold, i9-79**X, Threadripper, EPYC : where are the workstations?

Yeah, longer range KVM extenders and Displayport/USB extenders exist, but don't look up their prices if you thought that optical Thunderbolt cable was expensive. ;-) Essentially all current gen Apple computers have Thunderbolt 3.
  6. Z

Xeon Platinum/Silver/Gold, i9-79**X, Threadripper, EPYC : where are the workstations?

Sadly those are only Thunderbolt 2 cables, so only half the bandwidth. And no 5K or multiple 4K screens this way.
  7. Z

Well if they would make some sort of optical Thunderbolt 3 cable, best with standard LC or MPO connectors, one could hide the computer in the cellar or in another sound isolated place. That has always been a dream of mine.
  8. Z

Dell has announced that the next generation of workstations will be available on October 3rd. Dell Announces Updated Precision Workstation Lineup at SIGGRAPH: Refreshed Towers, Racks, and Laptop Also, the Xeon processors specs that Apple announced for the iMac Pro do not fully align with the...
  9. Z

Docker and Docker-Compose on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

You know, as a Linux noob, I was always wondering why I had to run Docker stuff as sudo. :oops: