Search results

1. W

Gigabyte EPYC - so far, so good

I've got the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 motherboard up and running with an EPYC 7351P CPU and 64GB (8x8) Crucial DDR4-2666 RDIMMs. So far I've just booted it from my Win10 test bench drive to run Prime95 (it passed). Using the Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 cooler, since the board is going in my old SuperMicro...
  2. W

Looking for an M.2 carrier card with PLX (4x M.2 on x16, no RAID)

Any recommendations? I saw this one from Amfeltec but I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with a particular model. I'm using an EPYC server board and just want to use the 4 NVMe drives as a cache tier (no RAID). PCI Express Gen 3 Carrier Board for 4 M.2 SSD modules - Amfeltec
  3. W

Need a really quiet 16-drive 3.5" dual-expander rack mount JBOD

I've outgrown the S3012 and while its build quality was cheesy as heck and generated some enclosure-management errors, at least it wasn't noisy. So I'm looking for a 16-drive SAS3 dual-expander chassis that is really quiet. This is for an A/V recording studio and the server is nearby -- noise...
  4. W

Has anybody tried the SuperMicro 846 passive backplane with SAS 12Gb/s ?

I have the SuperMicro CSE-SC846A-R1200B chassis with the 24-port discrete passive backplane (the one with 6 4-lane SAS connectors, no port multiplier). It was designed for 3/6 Gb SAS. Has anybody tried it with 12 Gb SAS devices? It looks like neither the MegaRAID controllers or the 12 Gb/s...