Search results

1. W

Gigabyte EPYC - so far, so good

Thanks, the only negative I've found is that the documentation is abysmal. Gigabyte's server product docs make Supermicro look like a consumer product. Setting up a fan profile for example was incredibly obtuse and undocumented. The default fan profile went to 100% duty cycle at 90C (!) There...
  2. W

Gigabyte EPYC - so far, so good

I've got the Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 motherboard up and running with an EPYC 7351P CPU and 64GB (8x8) Crucial DDR4-2666 RDIMMs. So far I've just booted it from my Win10 test bench drive to run Prime95 (it passed). Using the Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 cooler, since the board is going in my old SuperMicro...
  3. W

Looking for an M.2 carrier card with PLX (4x M.2 on x16, no RAID)

Any recommendations? I saw this one from Amfeltec but I'd love to hear if anyone has experience with a particular model. I'm using an EPYC server board and just want to use the 4 NVMe drives as a cache tier (no RAID). PCI Express Gen 3 Carrier Board for 4 M.2 SSD modules - Amfeltec
  4. W

Need a really quiet 16-drive 3.5" dual-expander rack mount JBOD

I've outgrown the S3012 and while its build quality was cheesy as heck and generated some enclosure-management errors, at least it wasn't noisy. So I'm looking for a 16-drive SAS3 dual-expander chassis that is really quiet. This is for an A/V recording studio and the server is nearby -- noise...
  5. W

Intel SSD 750 ESXi Passthrough?

Watch the endurance on the 750 series, which is a tiny 127 TBW (compare with 4380 TBW for a DC P3600).
  6. W

Interesting me SM 2U chassis

I'm really psyched about this chassis, hopefully it will be available soon. My new build needs an SSD caching tier, and the new LSI 12Gbps controllers only have 8 ports, so I need one connector going to a port multiplier backplane, and the other connector going to 4 discrete drives for the SSDs...
  7. W

M1015 or 9240-8i & Samsung Pro 850 Issue

The Samsung 850 Pro has a 512MB volatile RAM cache and so LSI wisely disables the drive cache, affecting performance but keeping your data reasonably safe. The Samsungs have a habit of breaking a RAID array on dirty shutdown due to the cache (and that's not solved by a controller BBU because the...
  8. W

Has anybody tried the SuperMicro 846 passive backplane with SAS 12Gb/s ?

Hm thanks but this isn't a TQ, it's the 846A (6 x SFF8087). I just looked at Supermicro's backplane list and the 846A is listed under SAS1, but the specs page for my chassis say "3Gb/6Gb support" so that's pretty confusing. It sounds a lot like the 846A was engineered for 3Gb/s but managed to...
  9. W

Has anybody tried the SuperMicro 846 passive backplane with SAS 12Gb/s ?

I have the SuperMicro CSE-SC846A-R1200B chassis with the 24-port discrete passive backplane (the one with 6 4-lane SAS connectors, no port multiplier). It was designed for 3/6 Gb SAS. Has anybody tried it with 12 Gb SAS devices? It looks like neither the MegaRAID controllers or the 12 Gb/s...
  10. W

Cheap NVMe performance from HP - 9,000MB/s for $900 or so?

Seems to me that it's very unlikely to be BIOS-locked in the sense that it actually looks for those specific HP workstations. More likely it simply requires PCIe lane allocation BIOS support that doesn't exist in other systems (yet). I know some folks at HP that I can ask. On the previous...