Search results

1. J

Modernizing Multi-purpose Server

I'm a pretty big fan of AMD, but for a plex server I can't overstate how well Intel's quick sync works for transcoding. I upgraded my Plex server with a I9-12900K, 32GB DDR5, and a new motherboard for $400. It works so much better for transcoding not breaking a sweat with 5 or more 4K streams...
  2. J

Learning self hosted AI/machine learning, budget server build questions

Nope, I'm not sure. Lol I went this route because I bought all 4 of these for $200 less then a 3090. From what I researched VRAM seems to be the biggest limiting factor. 96GB of VRAM should give me some pretty good flexibility for future projects. Power won't be an issue. When I built my...
  3. J

Learning self hosted AI/machine learning, budget server build questions

I am building a budget server to run AI and I have no experience running AI software. I'm thinking starting with Llama LLM, but would like to get into making AI pictures and videos as well plus who knows what else once I learn more about this. I am just getting into this and have not received...
  4. J

Duplicate post, cant figure out how to delete

Duplicate post, cant figure out how to delete
  5. J

Build for Machine learning and AI

The X299 was a typo. I meant X399. I have been running this CPU and motherboard for a couple years in my server. I went 3090 because that was the most cost effective way to get more then 16GB of VRAM. How much RAM would you recommend? I could upgrade to 128GB pretty easy. I still have 4 open...
  6. J

Build for Machine learning and AI

My son (20 years old) who is more tech savy then me is thinking of learning AI models and machine learning. I would like to help foster this and support him. I have lots of spare hardware and am about to upgrade my main server so I have that motherboard, CPU and RAM. I also have several 1TB M.2s...