Search results

1. W

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

A little addendum, in case anyone runs into the same problem as me: I took the newly sg_format'd disks from the chassis I was using to format them in (and that they'd been confirmed as working when connected to the Cisco 12G Modular SAS RAID controller in JBOD mode) and popped them in my live...
  2. W

Success!!! I flashed the HBA to IT mode (with no boot ROM), booted off my centos7 live usb stick and the disk was finally visible to the OS. I formatted it to 512byte sectors (which was surprisingly quick, maybe 2-3 minutes), formatted it to ext3 (which took a lot longer), mounted and verified...
  3. W

A little more progress moving back to the Cisco UCS chassis: it's happy with one drive cage connected to the onboard controller and one connected to the Perc H310. The Perc is still showing the Netapp SSD as "blocked" and not presenting it to the OS, but I've not flashed it to IT mode yet. So...
  4. W

Hi again, checking in with a quick update and looking for some more advice Things are super busy at work at the moment so I'm dipping in and out of this as I have the opportunity :-) I got the controller and cables, put the controller (Perc H310) in, and connected up the two internal drive...
  5. W

Ah, thanks mate. Hopefully it works out; it's only ~£30 total and I'm sat looking at a pile of ninety 1.6TB SSDs that are going in a shredder if I can't do anything with them, so it's not an expensive gamble :) It is odd, though, that I can't find any mention of these SM1633 disks online other...
  6. W

Yeah, just looking at Perc 310s on eBay now. Should be able to get one for ~£20 The Perc 730 Mini in the R630 connects to the drive cage using what appears to be a proprietary cable and connector, a high density plug that breaks out to two SFF8643 connectors (one for each disk enclosure...
  7. W

Well, I updated all the firmware on the C220 and it's still only passing through the HDD in JBOD mode (it even tells you this as it boots up, before the OS starts loading). Some reports online suggest that JBOD/HBA mode is not the same as IT Mode, and the Perc 730 Mini I have in the Dell, and...
  8. W

Okay, progress! I got one of the Samsung SSDs in a C220M4S, went into the Megaraid BIOS utility and configured everything for JBOD (noting that it saw the Samsung drive and identified as a Netapp disk with 520B logical sectors and 4KB physical sectors). Before rebooting I noted that the PD...
  9. W

Thanks, that’s encouraging! I can’t change the HBA in that particular machine as it’s in production, but I have a couple of other Cisco M4 UCS chassis I’m decommissioning soon that I should hopefully be able to use for this. I’ll report back on how I get on.
  10. W

Hi folks, first time poster, thanks for the great resource here! I have read this thread from start to finish (!) with the hopes of getting some ex-Netapp drives working in other hardware and haven't been able to figure it out. I have a huge stack (almost 100) of Samsung SM1633 1.6TB SAS SSDs...