Search results

1. RobertFontaine

Dual AMD EPYC 7601 CPUs Can Offset Operational Costs Using Monero Mining

The crypto blip will be short lived. The next level of complexity comes fast with all the new adopters and it will cease being financially rewarding. Nothing wrong with making hay but don't pretend this is a business model.
  2. RobertFontaine

HP SAS 4TB Drives on Ebay $23

This seems to be a very common scam. Buyers protection works fine. EBay seems to be catching and cancelling the accounts but they leave the transaction in place and tell the buyer to make a claim if nothing shows up.
  3. RobertFontaine

Another Supermicro 846 w/ BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane $299.99+shipping

If only shipping costs weren't so high I would have jumped on one of these a long time ago. The backplane would be very nice to have.
  4. RobertFontaine

To Good to Be Trues on Fleabay

Not sure, computer generated. Took 5 days to reinstate with pictures of id's and inane questions.
  5. RobertFontaine

eBay: $275 HGST Ultrastar He10 3.5" Helium Platform Enterprise 10TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

That makes for a frightening amount of storage. It's a good thing I have no money
  6. RobertFontaine

I'm not sure if my avid use of flea-bay searches and bidding on TGTBT or my inconsistent use of my vpn has got my paypal suspended and an automated request for picture id, utilities receipts, and a disclaimer that I am not related to any politically sensitive individuals(wtf?). 13 years of...
  7. RobertFontaine

ASUS GTX 1080 Ti "Turbo" $640

If only the exchange rate was better. I keep hoping for Trump to do something incredibly stupid and he keeps swinging for me. If he can kill the value of the american dollar in the next few months I will probably buy a couple.
  8. RobertFontaine

Discussion on Commercial Seller Definition Clarification in the FS Forums

I'm feeling an opportunity for monetization here.... Wish it were mine. If Commercial Sellers want to offer group buys, discounts and generally obscenely good deals maybe there is an easy monthly payment for them to post in a separate forum group for commercial sellers. On one hand we could...
  9. RobertFontaine

Xeon E5-2660 V2 $124

There are plenty of choices in this space for a little more or a little less. I keep talking myself up to the 269x's. and talking myself back down again.
  10. RobertFontaine

SuperMicro socket repair?

SM isnt quick with repairs but that they do them and at a reasonable price is very appreciated from this basement lab.
  11. RobertFontaine

Xeon E5-2660 V2 $124

Nice little file server cpus.
  12. RobertFontaine

Spent a couple of hours trying to understand credit fraud. It mostly gave me a headache. It seems like there are an infinite number of poor, unethical mostly stupid people willing to try the same 3 scams until they are arrested. The idea that this is "organized crime" leaves me a bit...
  13. RobertFontaine

I have been quietly ordering hard drives at too good to be true prices. The sellers have the exact same format: several for sale and a limit of 1 per buyer every 10 days. They are shipping without providing tracking. The sellers of course have little or no selling history. With 180 day...
  14. RobertFontaine

Homelab suggestions - advice requested

I continue to waffle as hardware trickles in. The v1/v2 e5's are still big value dollar wise. Supermicro boards with a workstation configuration are occasionally a reasonable price (never cheap). It's hard for me to worry about power consumption in a home lab. Up front dollars are always...
  15. RobertFontaine

Our mining competition, gulp

In every gold rush it is the grocers that get rich.
  16. RobertFontaine

gigabyte 1080 Ti Gaming $639.99 @ebay

I have to admit to being completely indifferent to what a video card looks like. The idea that this is a selling feature will forever be lost on me.
  17. RobertFontaine

Xeon v3 or v4 for X10SRL-F

The v3 qs chips with 12-14 cores around 2.3ghz seem to be about the best bang for the buck. If your use cases can handle sub 2 ghz then there you can get high core counts for the same money. I like to know that I can run a desktop vm even with my file server but that's my use case.
  18. RobertFontaine

Move Over M.2: 16TB M.3 SSDs for the 1PB per U Data Center

It shouldn't take more than 100 years for the ssd to pay themselves off with power savings over the spinny disks. Maybe I should just switch to tape.
  19. RobertFontaine

Tgtbt - HGST Ultrastar 3TB pulls - 10.92

Nothing to be nervous about. Paypal will cover it and monoprice is a large legit business. They f'ed up and took orders for a few hundred at the wrong price and now they are pissing about. Rude. Yes. Risky no.
  20. RobertFontaine

Tgtbt - HGST Ultrastar 3TB pulls - 10.92

No I contacted customer service and they said 5 days to refund. As it is still within the shipping window I can't even figure out how to open a complaint with ebay. paypal points to ebay. ebay has no immediate recourse and the seller say 5 days. We are keeping your money homey.