Search results

1. M

How do you choose a SuperMicro motherboard?!

Hello. I've decided to go SuperMicro across the board: chassis, X10 MB and E3-12xx V3 CPU. Here's the problem: how do you choose a SuperMicro motherboard?! If you go to Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon there a dozen and more MBs! For instance: a little research...
  2. M

A Pile of Miscellaneous Questions

Hello. This is general chat, so hopefully a bunch of general questions are OK. My goal of a rack populated with a security cam server, file server, and eventually web server / Email has led to a great deal of research over the last months. I have a few outstanding, unanswered questions that...
  3. M

Consolidating on one manufacturer?

I think this is the proper place to post this question(?) If I start building out a rack, should I be attempting to consolidate on a single manufacturer? I understand that most servers come with a Management Interface, and I suppose they all differ somewhat, much like BIOS interfaces differ...
  4. M

True or false? Graphics cards and rack mounted servers...

Hi. I'm building a security camera server and was looking to purchase something like a ProLiant DL320 (or a Dell or something similar) because I need (a) to rack the machine, (b) a Xeon processor for ECC. I'm going to need a consumer-level graphics card, like an nVidia 5-9xx series. Why? It...
  5. M

Wanted: expertise on server setup

I'd like to solicit expert opinions on a server(s) setup. Although a software engineer, I'm finding the hardware aspects to be incredibly complex, much more so than I would have imagined, even after weeks of reading. I'm an old hand at building hardware (desktops), but designing, selecting and...