Search results

1. M

How do you choose a SuperMicro motherboard?!

RTM -- Off topic is great. I learn more. >...the previous generation of hardware? My thinking was to stay one generation behind, to catch deals on eBay, people upgrading, etc.. Now, the software requires fast, per-core Ghz. According to Wikipedia's list of Xeons (List of Intel Xeon...
  2. M

xnoodle -- thanks. Which model has the SAS controller? Really, my question is this: is there a model # decoder ring for the motherboards such as the Chassis Product Naming Convention chart (Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Product Naming Conventions)? **** EDIT I think I found it: Super Micro...
  3. M

Hello. I've decided to go SuperMicro across the board: chassis, X10 MB and E3-12xx V3 CPU. Here's the problem: how do you choose a SuperMicro motherboard?! If you go to Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Products | Motherboards | Xeon there a dozen and more MBs! For instance: a little research...
  4. M

A Pile of Miscellaneous Questions

Hello. This is general chat, so hopefully a bunch of general questions are OK. My goal of a rack populated with a security cam server, file server, and eventually web server / Email has led to a great deal of research over the last months. I have a few outstanding, unanswered questions that...
  5. M

True or false? Graphics cards and rack mounted servers...

Hey uOpt--thanks for this reply. My take away from your comment is that having a consumer-level graphics card with two outputs could be mildly dangerous because it, like the motherboard, could be susceptible to RAM errors and could blue-screen the server. Say you wanted to be safe--would you...
  6. M

Interesting information, j_h_o. The KVM over CAT looks quite interesting. I'm a little leery of Black Box as my experience is that they provide OK solutions for very high prices, but if not them, then some other vendor will have something similar. Thanks! And Happy Holidays to you and everyone...
  7. M

> Supermicro 846...and everyone currently unloading them... Why are people replacing their Supermicro 846 chassis?
  8. M

According to the Terms of Service and Rules, links are allowed, so... It appears that the remote monitoring station could be implemented by using an HDMI Extender (e.g. HDMI Booster Extender Receiver - Good review) for the video and audio, an USB Booster (e.g. USB Active Booster Extension...
  9. M

Consolidating on one manufacturer?

Good input & advice; thank you very much.
  10. M

In response to both of the above posts, The software is BlueIris, a well-respected security camera software. I've demoed it; it works well but is (understandably) very CPU-intensive. As for cost: I can write the check, but since I believe this is going to be a separate, dedicated server, it...
  11. M

T_Minus, before I forget, I'd like to thank you (and j_h_o and et al.) for your collaboration. Answer: It's true that GPU-assisted video de/encoding is not yet supported. I would like to be ready for it, naturally. However, in addition, there are TWO OTHER very important issues: 1) The vendor...
  12. M

I envision one, wall-mounted, inset remote screen. (On the rack, I believe I'll end up with three machines, so KVM-speaking, a total of four monitors.) The remote monitor should be flush- or surface-mountable, with power and data routed through a wall; something between 7" and 15" diagonal...
  13. M

Consolidating on one manufacturer?

I think this is the proper place to post this question(?) If I start building out a rack, should I be attempting to consolidate on a single manufacturer? I understand that most servers come with a Management Interface, and I suppose they all differ somewhat, much like BIOS interfaces differ...
  14. M

Note: I entirely skipped over Windows 8.x; I'm a desktop or command line guy. Please pardon this gap in my knowledge base. So when you connect a touchscreen monitor to a PC, you have to run a USB cable to it, as well? Always? Then an HDMI or DVI extender won't work--they don't support...
  15. M

Fantastic reply! Thanks, j_h_o (once again). What would you (or any reader, here) do to provide touch-screen capability? I want the remote monitor to be "pokable" by the user, selecting different cameras, causing a clip to be recorded, turning audio on/off, etc. My research indicates that...
  16. M

Hi. I'm building a security camera server and was looking to purchase something like a ProLiant DL320 (or a Dell or something similar) because I need (a) to rack the machine, (b) a Xeon processor for ECC. I'm going to need a consumer-level graphics card, like an nVidia 5-9xx series. Why? It...
  17. M

Wanted: expertise on server setup

Hi j_h_o and everyone. I want to express my thanks for allowing such a general (read: noob) server question. I'm hoovering up IT knowledge daily (for weeks!) but it's an insanely steep learning curve. Thanks JeffroMart for the input, as well. I think I've come to one conclusion: I need to...
  18. M

In answer to the "How many MB/s" question: the information is hard to come by. BlueIris will saturate a 4-core, high end Core i7 with 10 cams. It appears to be okay with one, 7200RPM drive. I'll probably write only on motion detect, but I could change my mind, and if so, throwing $ at an 8TB He6...
  19. M

I'm fully capable of handling any software and hardware issues. I just don't have enough IT experience to envision a best-practices design and to select components. I used to tell people that no software engineer should be hired until he's been working for at least 10 years. ;) After weeks of...