Search results

1. J

Created a USB image with all SuperMicro SAS Firmware

I have created a USB image with all SuperMicro SAS controller firmware. It can be used to flash SAS controllers to IT mode. You can find it here: http://joelinoff.com/blog/?p=562. I hope that you find it useful.
  2. J

Supermicro 6036ST-6LR SAS 2008 controller IT mode

Solved! I finally figured out the problem yesterday based on a suggestion by a SuperMicro support representative. It turned out to be very simple, I had not seated my disks properly. They were too far forward to connect to the SAS controller bus. Once I fixed that everything else was...
  3. J

Thanks that is really helpful. I may try that if I can't get IT mode working just to prove the functionality of OpenIndiana/ZFS.
  4. J

Cool. I have tried it 3 ways: 1 board standalone, the other board standalone and both boards together. For the standalone tests I tried just powering up one server while both were in the chassis and I tried physically removing one server. 2 Intel Xeon X5645 (low power since I am...
  5. J

I really appreciated mobilenvidia's insights and the fast response. I will keep you posted and I would be happy to do a write up if/when I get it working.
  6. J

Thank you, I really appreciate the sanity check. I thought I was going nuts. I contacted them on Friday. Blast! I wish I had contacted you sooner. I did mention that I flashed the Firmware but I did it using files they supplied so it might be okay. Also, I am looking to buy quite a number of...
  7. J

I have created a web page that has more information about the problem: http://joelinoff.com/blog/?page_id=370. It shows, among other things, screen shots of the LSI SAS2008 Controller Config Utility, the BIOS boot options and the parts list.
  8. J

My question was incorrect. According to the description here: http://www.va-technologies.com/pdf/sbb_datasheet_va_3.pdf, SAS drives should work out of the box. The AOC-LSISS9252 interposer is only needed for SATA so the setup I have should work.
  9. J

Thanks again for your help. Yes, the MB has an LSI SAS2008 mezzanine card (AOM-SAS2-L8, LSI 9211-8i HBA). Yup, that is what i was thinking. Good observation. I don't know either. Good suggestion. I removed them but the problem still occurs. Yes. Inteteresting. That would...
  10. J

Thank you for responsing. You described exactly what I am doing. Ctrl-C is what is used by SuperMicro as well. The problem is that when I get into the topology page from the LSI option ROM (they call it the SAS controller BIOS) I see the controller but I do not see the expander or the...
  11. J

I am building a filer based on OpenIndiana/ZFS using the SuperMicro 6036ST-6LR super server because I need HA. To use ZFS efficiently I want to use I/T mode on the SAS controllers. I flashed the controllers using PH11 from ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/LSI/2008/IT/Firmware/ and...