Search results

1. J

Performance differences between ALL-In-One and Bare metal install

Thanks. That's helpful to know. I'll rebuild my system to run on ESXi-5 and see how it goes. I would like to know the hardware configurations that those running in "production" is using and the IOPS that you are hitting IF possible. Thanks.
  2. J

Slicing SSD

ZIL logged data is losted only if the ZIL fail when the system crashed right, otherwise, my understanding is that the actual write is from RAM to HDD and not from ZIL to HDD. That's my read of it. Can I increase the ZIL so that it uses and have a longer gap before it has to write to the HDD from...
  3. J

So RAM is the main factor. The main reason for running it in ESXi vs bare metal is so that I could effectively run or install other appliance. Again my constraint seems to be on the RAM.. so it's back to the drawing board..
  4. J

What is a SPARE in ZFS

Thanks. What confused me was the fact that I could add a smaller disk to a pool with larger disks size and a article I read seems to mix up Spare and L2ARC in the same sentences.,,
  5. J

Slicing SSD

Well, the question is that what is FC and FCoE ? Is it sync write or async writes ? I couldn't find more. I also read that you do not need mirror for ZIL and L2ARC, so question is how much of performance improvement do I get with a SSD ZIL ? I'm convinced of the benefits of L2ARC but still...
  6. J

Slicing SSD

I guess if it increase my IOPS by 10 times, then the 2GB isn't wasting space.. but yeah, that's the same reason why I'm asking about slicing SSD so that I can use part of it for the ZIL and part of it for the L2ARC.
  7. J

Slicing SSD

I've a pair of SSD and I want to Slice them so that I could use part of it for L2ARC and Part of it for ZIL. IS that a good idea and if so, how do I do that ?
  8. J

Anybody has tested the differences in performance between bare metal install and ALL-In-One ? Thanks.
  9. J

What is a SPARE in ZFS

I'm trying to co-relate ZFS terminology to NAPP-IT. Where do I configure, enable, disable ZIL, ARC , L2ARC in NAPP-IT ? What is a SPARE in ZFS ? In normal raid, this would have to be the same size as Disk but ZFS seems to allow for a different size. Thanks.
  10. J

about missing manuals around Illumian, OpenIndiana and napp-it

It would be good to start with ZFS and NAPP-IT, and move backward. Would be glad to help once I get a bit more familiar with NAPP-IT and the setup.
  11. J

Hardware for OpenIndiana

Thanks. I've created a Pool, add 2SSD as vDEV as Write Cache. Turn on Dedup and compression.
  12. J

Out of Topic - How do I edit the GRUB menu after NAPP-IT

I've install NAPP-IT and now there is 7 menu entries on the GRUB and I want to remove the rest but somehow I couldn't find it on the menu.lst ,etc. Where do I edit and remove the menu entries.
  13. J

OpenIndiana / Napp-IT help

Thanks. Will try that out.
  14. J

Hardware for OpenIndiana

Well, I believe based on Specs, the H700 supports 3TB disks. Again, not sure about performance or specific disks model. Yes, I understand that mirror (RAID1) give the best performance/price , but if I have multiple disk, what would be the ideal scenerio. Given that I have only 4 SATA/SAS...
  15. J

Hardware for OpenIndiana

My choice of hardware is somewhat limited to what I could get locally. I know about the ebay option, but again limited locally as I had some problems with Paypal long ago (they wanted whole branch of personal info which I wasn't willing to risk giving to a company without even a contact address...
  16. J

Hardware for OpenIndiana

I found the IBM 5015 instead on ebay. Would that be a good buy ?
  17. J

Hardware for OpenIndiana

Assuming that I have 4 SATA, 2x120G SSD and 2x2T HDD, 8G of DRAM, what would be my best configuration to get the fastest R/W performance ? Mirror SSD and Mirror HDD ?
  18. J

OpenIndiana / Napp-IT help

OK, so that means it's not really serving any purpose in the actual configuration. Is L2ARC and ZIL configured automatically in ZFS ? I don't seems to see any options or commands to configure them or check the status of configuration.
  19. J

Hardware for OpenIndiana

Hi guys, Looking for hardware recommendation for OpenIndiana SAN. Motherboard - Currently using AMD Athalon X2 (8GB DRAM) and support 4 HDD , seems to be working fine. JBOD controller -> Looking for something that will support Sata3 if possible Power Supply -> Currently 460W for...