Search results

1. L

ASRock Rack X570D4U

The heatsink on this board for the X570 chipset is small and passive. X570 in particular is a very hot chipset so it's not surprising to hear. You'd want a lot of airflow over the chipset (e.g. through a case fan), which would prevent temperatures from getting this high. All of the systems I've...
  2. L

ASRock Rack X570D4U

Does the server boot at least? If so, you can try using SOCFlash (ASRock has it for download on their website) and re-flashing the BMC in a DOS environment. I've had issues before where the SPI flash holding the BMC gets corrupted somehow and it no longer boots. If you're both unable to boot...
  3. L

ASRock Rack X570D4U

You don't need to update the BMC firmware for it to work with 5000-series CPUs. The BMC is a completely separate system and works even without a CPU installed.
  4. L

ASRock Rack X570D4U

I was told around September, although I would always expect some delays with new boards being rolled out.
  5. L

1U Heatsink for AM4 and X470D4U?

I don't know if they're planning on doing a glued backplate, but I think a big problem is that most aftermarket AM4 heatsinks will have their fins facing the wrong direction (i.e. the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4). Instead of parallel to the RAM slots, their fins will face perpendicular. So even if you had...
  6. L

No amount of fans will help, the A18 is just way too small. You should definitely go for the L3, but if that isn't an option, you can try mounting a non-AM4 cooler like I did.
  7. L

What CPU are you planning to use? If you have a lower TDP the A18 should work fine.
  8. L

If you're looking for performance, I think you should look into 1U AIO's instead of 1U. For example, Dynatron makes a L3 liquid cooler which should have decent performance (I haven't used it myself so I can't speak to exactly what temps you can get). I spent the good part of a month trying to...
  9. L

FS: Cisco A9K-40GE-L Line Card for ASR9K Routers

I don't think many people would be interested in this, but worth a shot. I have a used Cisco A9K-40GE-L (rev: V04), in working condition, that I no longer need. Asking price is $750 OBO, shipping is included for free within the continental US.
  10. L

Looking for a (somewhat) Power Efficient 10Gbe Layer 3 Switch for a Homelab - Cisco N3K?

If you're getting a nexus switch, try getting one decked out with the licensing features (mainly LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG and LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG). Nexus switches are quite powerful and reliable, I have several 3048TP's which does BGP, PBR, and several other more advanced routing features.
  11. L

WTB: 128GB DDR3 ECC

I'm looking to purchase 128GB of DDR3 ECC memory, can be in a 16x 8GB or a 8x 16GB configuration. Preferably looking to pay somewhere between $300 and $400 for everything shipped.
  12. L

Intel RAID Volume Sizes

Only thing I can think of is SSD over-provisioning, but I'm looking to see if anyone here can confirm why this is. I'd like to have at least a 900 GB volume if possible and safe due to what I'm using the server for.
  13. L

Intel RAID Volume Sizes

I never was planning on using RAID-5. The calculated values are the same no matter what strip size I used. I've tried with 4kb, 8kb, 16kb, 32kb and 64kb. It's always 884.9 GB. I just didn't hit the arrow key enough times when I made that 931 GB volume.
  14. L

Intel RAID Volume Sizes

I'm experiencing an issue while creating a RAID-10 volume with Intel's RST RAID. I have 4x 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo's that I'm planning to put in a RAID-10 Volume. When I go to create the volume, it's telling me that the maximum capacity is 884.9 GB. It states that "The default value indicates...
  15. L

Mellanox ConnectX-2 not working

It's currently 2.9.1200, which I think is the latest version.
  16. L

Yeah, windows sees the NIC, but in Adapters, it just shows as disconnected. When running vstat or ibstat, the only port shows the state as being down and physical state as being disabled. Using ibportstate just returns an error
  17. L

I'm extremely new to fiber, and looking to get a 10 Gbe link between two computers. Currently, I have bought a Mellanox MNPA19-XTR card along with a Avago AFBR-703ASDZ-E2 10GbE SFP+ module. However, I just can't seem to get the two to work. I'm currently running Windows 10.