Search results

1. L

Any advice on NAS systems for home use?

In my opinion, if you want a turn key solution with the best apps, and a solid alternative to something like MS OneDrive, Google Drive, Drop Box, Nextcloud, etc. then Synology is hard to beat. Their hardware doesn't have the best specs as noted above, but their software sets the bar for NAS and...
  2. L

New Managed LAN Switch Required - any recommendations?

Yes 30 watts. My other hobby is welding. Everything is measured in amps when you weld. LOL
  3. L

New Managed LAN Switch Required - any recommendations?

I love it. It has been rock solid. It took some trial and error to get LACP links set up between my two NAS boxes and between the switch and my pfSense box (Hunsn N100 box from Amazon). But once everything was set up, I have literally been able to ignore the switch. I did upgrade my main Proxmox...
  4. L

ienRon 22 Port 2.5G Managed Layer 3 Network Switch, 16 x 2.5 Gigabit Base-T Ports, 6 x 10 Gigabit SFP Switch, Ethernet Switch, Smart Switch, Flexible

The management console looks pretty identical to the switch I bought, except the Mokerlink I bought has a few more 2.5g ports. I am sure they are all the same basically. This is my second Mokerlink. I have been happy with them. I thought about going with the Ienron, but wanted the added ports...
  5. L

Strange Problem needs answer?

Are either system 1 or system 2 hosting a shared folder? or is only the Synology hosting a shared folder? Just because you have SMB running doesn't mean you have configured a folder to share.
  6. L

New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

Honestly for basic NAS stuff and Nextcloud, the OP could get by with core i3 processor, or less. It's the dev stuff that is the wild card. I run 2 instances of Openmediavault, ansible, and homeassistant on a N100 CPU, and that is overkill. My main Proxmox node runs Nexcloud, three separate...
  7. L

Newbie lost in the 10Gbps wilderness...

Do you really need 10gbs? What kind of hard drives do you have in your Proxmox nodes? If you have spinning drives in your Proxmox nodes, you would probably be well served with 2.5gbps, save a bunch of money and generate a lot less heat. I just upgraded my main Proxmox node to 10gbps networking...
  8. L

New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

If you have any plans on doing any AI inferencing, I would say neither. See here. https://www.anandtech.com/show/21084/intel-core-i9-14900k-core-i7-14700k-and-core-i5-14600k-review-raptor-lake-refreshed/10
  9. L

WTB - xeon 2690v4, mobo, ddr4-2133 ram

Check Newegg. Plenty of good refurb stuff over there for not a lot of money https://www.newegg.com/p/2NS-0006-3HEM4?Item=9SIAC0FK9Z5272
  10. L

WAP upgrade advice

I do have trouble finding unused channels on 5 ghz
  11. L

WAP upgrade advice

My current setup is that I have a generic N100 box running pfSense plus, with dual WAN. I have the pfSense box linked to my 2.5gb managed switch via LACP. My Proxmox nodes, NAS devices, and assorted other devices (alarm, ham radio stuff) all hang off of the managed switch. I currently have a...
  12. L

WiFi add-in for AMD workstation

I have two of these in my environment running on AMD machines and I couldn't be happier https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09VCVTJV2
  13. L

MEGA 2.5GbE Switch Guide Update with 21 New Models Added

Not to change topics, but I would love to see some reviews of the bigger 2.5gbe/10gbe switches. The ones with 16+ 2.5gbe ports, especially the managed switches.
  14. L

Q670 with vPRO NAS Board!

I still find nothing. I checke3d the CWWK website earlier too. If you find a link I would appreciate it you could share. Thx
  15. L

[Need advice] Looking for a cheap server to replace raspberry pi 3b+

Amazon often has sales too. I paid $119 for my Nucbox 3 with 8gb of memory and 256GB SSD
  16. L

Can't find anything on Google with that text string
  17. L

OK, who makes it?
  18. L

On sale for $149.99 for 3 days. 8mb memory and 256gb drive https://www.gmktec.com/products/nucbox-g3-most-cost-effective-mini-pc-with-intel-n100-processor?variant=c3e3b8ee-7ba7-47da-87cd-85fb2f6674ef
  19. L

GMKTek nucbox G3. They are often on sale for less than $150 with 8gb of memory and a 512gb NVMe SSD. 2.5 gbe NIC, plenty of USB ports, N100 processor. Nice units. I use one as a Proxmox host
  20. L

Minilab advice

Watch the reviews that Patrick has on the server the home youtube channel. There are differences. I specifically went HP because I wanted at least 2 NVMe slots so I could mirror the boot drive for Proxmox, and I wanted to be able to upgrade the NIC