Search results

1. H

Can't boot VM (napp-it) after upgrading ESXI from 6.0 u3 to 6.7 u3

It turns out I can't add ANY PCI devices to the napp-it vms. I tested adding to another CentOS vm on vm hardware version 7 and that worked. I then tested a Windows VM on version 10 hardware and that also does NOT work. It seems like I have an odd host configuration that is causing the issue...
  2. H

I imported the latest napp-it ESXI 6.7 OVA, reserve the memory and added the DELL HBA to the VM (after removing it from the old VM) and I get the same error: The virtual machine cannot be powered on because virtual nested paging is not compatible with PCI passthru. To power on the VM either...
  3. H

Great question! I assume that doesn't make changes to the zpools by doing that (I'd like to not lose them!)?
  4. H

I'm in the process of upgrading my ESX hosts from 6.0 u3 up to 6.7 u3. I did one host (X10SRH) that is running a NAPP-IT vm (from OVA) that has a IBM HBA passed through and had no issues. I then did my other host (SM X10SRL + E2630 V4) with my main NAPP-IT VM that has a DELL HBA passed through...
  5. H

Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

I check the vmx file to ensure that the device ID on pciPassthru0 matched the device ID in ESXi.
  6. H

Have you tried manually setting pciHole? I know some have needed to in order to get it to work. In the VM vmx file set: pciHole.start = "1200" pciHole.end = "2200" Values may need tweaking beyond the above.
  7. H

I have had the issue where v0=false did not take either. Last time I did it I added it directly via the vsphere web client and THAT seemed to work the first time.
  8. H

Quick couple questions: does the motherboard/cpu support VT-d (I don't know off hand)? Is it enabled?
  9. H

I'm just glad I have it working now. I had tried several non-quadro cards in the past and never got past the BSOD. RE msiEnabled, solid79 linked an nvidia post on it: VMware vDGA / GPU Passthrough Requires That MSI is Disabled on VMs | NVIDIA
  10. H

Since I have not installed Max OSX, I can't say, I would assume so?? Hopefully someone else has used OS X on a VM and can chime in.
  11. H

A little late to this party, but wanted to add another success story to the mix. Setup: ESX 6.0 Update 3 Supermicro X10SRH Xeon E5-2630 V4 QS 64 GB GTX 970 Short version: Added hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = false on W10 VM via VSphere VM Settings->VM Options->Advanced->Configuration. Passthrough...
  12. H

Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F Memory Issue

Hmm, interesting, I have some Samsung 2400mhz on my X10SRH-F with an ES 2630 V4 and I could have SWORN that it was running at full 2400mhz. Now I must verify when I get home tonight!
  13. H

RX480 passthrough on ESXi6.5

Does the B85M-D3H support VT-D? If so, do you need to enable in the Bios/UEFI?
  14. H

Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F Memory Issue

IIRC there is also the option to bypass the default speed and run the ram at whatever speeds it is rated for (2400 in this case) in the X10SRH BIOS.
  15. H

GPU passthrough issues

Do you have another machine you can throw the card into and try ESX on? That would at least narrow it down to the current hardware being a problem.
  16. H

GPU passthrough issues

Not that I am aware of. As I recall all I did was simply setup passthrough and add the 480 to the VM. Its a windows 10 VM if that matters.
  17. H

GPU passthrough issues

You are correct! It was a hard mod to a k4000 per http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/?PHPSESSID=981f857e0b69e6a6db2da7d59422332f. I mis spoke above.
  18. H

GPU passthrough issues

As a data point (not the same CPUs or Mobo), I have an AMD RX480 on pass-through on ESXI 6.0U1 and its been working well since Oct/Nov 2016 running on a Supermicro X10SRL (UP) + E5-2630 V4 ES2 + 64 GB RAM. I also had a Quadro 4000 (actually a hard modded GTX 660) that worked fine as well on...
  19. H

Script: Supermicro Host Fan control on on Napp-It (or maybe any Solaris OS?)

To my knowledge, ESXI doesn't offer the same level of control and granularity on temperature ranges and fan speeds. Also, since HDD's are typically attached to a controller that is passed-through to a VM, ESXI might not have access to SMART temp data in order to set appropriate speeds. Now, I...
  20. H

WTB: 32GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM

FYI, you can find them on ebay (if ebay is an option for you) for $35-$45 a stick, and sometimes lower: (ddr3,pc3) (8gb,8 gb) (ecc unbuffered,ecc udimm,eudimm,10600e,12800e,14900e) -4gb -2gb -1gb -non-ecc -rdimm -reg -8500r -10600r -12800r -14900r -kingston in Computers/Tablets & Networking | eBay