Search results

1. L

Drives in my server producing too much vibration

I ended up using one of these to solve this problem. This did not silence the noise entirely, so I placed the brackets on some vibration dampening material inside the case. This combination has made the hard drives inaudible below the white noise produced by the fans of the server. Definitely...
  2. L

Need help with college dorm network

Ended up using Tailscale to manage this. Installed it on my devices and it works pretty well. Was not able to install it on my TrueNAS Core server, so I set up another system as a subnet router, allowing me to access the server from any device with Tailscale installed.
  3. L

Thanks for the info. Yeah I have been trying to get friendly with some of the IT guys in advance, I joined the server of the Compsci club to try and make some connections.
  4. L

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into Tailscale. Yeah getting some plugins running on Core has been a bit of a nightmare, having the Linux VM has made things much easier. I probably should have just gone with Scale from the start.
  5. L

Thanks for the reply. I am 100% sure that it's the drives. The noise becomes more regular when doing large file transfers and I can feel the vibrations when I touch them.
  6. L

Thanks for the advice, yeah I think I will definitely need to get used to sleeping with noise, I do have a speaker I can play some white noise on so hopefully that will help!
  7. L

Hi, I will soon be moving into a college dorm and I'd like to take my server with me. It's running TrueNAS Core, with wireguard VPN server running in a linux VM and a few other services. I want to be able to access the server from outside the network. At home, I can do this using simply the...
  8. L

This could be the solution, thank you!
  9. L

Hi, I am currently running TrueNAS Core in a HP Z420 workstation. I am using two 10TB Seagate Exos X16 in a mirrored configuration. The problem is, the drives vibrate substantially when the r/w arm is seeking. The case amplifies these vibrations and results in loud, low frequency, irregular...