Search results

1. P

Cheyenne supercomputer with 8,064 Xeon e5-2697v4 and 313,344GB of DDR4 auction!

IF your applications can use them. Even if the initial investment will be higher, I think GPU cluster will quickly make it up on lower operating costs
  2. P

By TechTechPotato''s reporting, it leaks on some quick disconnects The original user probably didn't want to deal with it and used as a great excuse for an upgrade, but maybe, with a bit of creativity, it will not be that difficult to fix by a skilled maintenance team.
  3. P

I hope it will go to a small academic institution, which will use it for research. Even though the computational power of this supercomputer is roughly equal to several GPUs, there are still tons of scientific software which will never be rewritten to take advantage of therm. E.g. atmospheric...
  4. P

if it's sold with the management software, it is still worth much more than just the scrap value.
  5. P

I still would love to get a couple. Not always you can snatch a piece of a famous supercomputer, and maybe use it in own computational cluster.
  6. P

$250: Intel NUC 9 Pro Compute Element - NUC9VXQNB

He mentions der8auer's video, and even credits him with helping with troubleshooting
  7. P

$250: Intel NUC 9 Pro Compute Element - NUC9VXQNB

If I understand correctly, the PCIe connector on the CPU board was used to connect a PCIe card in the original enclosure. In theory, it should be possible to use 2 Occulink->PCIe adapters connected back to back to hook up an extra PCIe device. If the BIOS supports bifurcation, maybe a 4 x...
  8. P

Hyve HS9215—1U, 8x LFF SATA III, 2x SFF SATA III, 2x LGA 2011-3, 2x PCIe 3.0x16, 2x OCP 2.0 with dual 10GbE Intel X520 and LSI SAS2308 - $120 + ship

If you still haven't solved the issue, try waiting longer. The BMC takes several minutes to initialize after power on. The board doesn't have to be booted, or even powered on for BMC initialization, just leave it connected to power.
  9. P

Hyve HS9215—1U, 8x LFF SATA III, 2x SFF SATA III, 2x LGA 2011-3, 2x PCIe 3.0x16, 2x OCP 2.0 with dual 10GbE Intel X520 and LSI SAS2308 - $120 + ship

The board doesn't match the Tyan docs, but I think I found the BMC reset header. I tried switching it, and I think I succeeded in clearing the BMC settings, because now I can't now connect via a web browser. I can connect using Supermicro's IPMIView, but I can't figure out what are the default...
  10. P

Hyve HS9215 motherboard help

Hi! I've got a motherboard from Hyve HS9215 server to play with, but I can't make it boot. The board has one E5-2860v4 processor installed, and 32GB 2Rx4 RDIMM (1 or 2) memory sticks installed. BMC boots, and I can reach the login screen, but none of the username/password combinations I found...
  11. P

Captcha on STH main page

When I clicked on the link on the forum to today's article on the main page, I was greeted by an overlay with a captcha. The overlay can be easily removed by "Kill Sticky" bookmarklet, and the page works fine after removing itt. What's the purpose of this overlay?
  12. P

New Home Server Build : X11SRM-F + Xeon W-2135

Is the naming scheme documented somewhere?
  13. P

HGST HSH721414AL42M0 14TB SAS 4Kn $88 or less

I read it, but still I would like to hear from someone who actually uses them.
  14. P

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Now it looks like a 0.1 ohm current monitoring resistor. If it is indeed a resistor, you can try to bridge the pads with a piece of wire.
  15. P

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Looks like a coil, and most likely belongs to a switching voltage regulator circuit.
  16. P

HGST HSH721414AL42M0 14TB SAS 4Kn $88 or less

After reading this thread I started thinking about about using a few SMR disks for storage of read-mostly data, e.g. for video file storage for jellyfin. Do modern mainline linux kernels know how to deal with host-managed disks, or does it require manual patching?
  17. P

Gigaplus 8-port 2.5G 2-port 10G switch $69

If you bought it on Amazon, you can try to request price match. And if this doesn't work, return it saying that you found a better price on Amazon :)
  18. P

EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

If I could decode the markings correctly from the picture, it's a Spansion chip, with 8 pins it makes it a perfect candidate for configuration flash
  19. P

Weird behavior with XikeStor 10Gb SFP+ switches

My UI switches work with anything I throw at them. Problems may be with 2.5G modules in switches which do not support this speed natively, but I don't have any first-hand experience.