Search results

1. I

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

If you're doing baremetal OPNsense without any IPS/IDS or other resource intensive things then N5105 is a total overkill/kinda a waste of resources. People who talk about 100% load etc, usually are doing something more, so it matters to them.
  2. I

Pentium Gold 8505 based Router

You're right, no idea why it stuck in my head - that it was PL2 instead of PL4. Thou i now remember why i ignored PL3 and PL4 - you can't touch PL3 nor PL4. Well you can PL3 coz it's optional but i didn't see any miniPC board which allowed that, so Intel partners just stick with defualt. Anyway...
  3. I

You're welcome. Now, lets continue. This is just Intel... being Intel. If you look for logic, proper naming, continuity.... yeah, no. They give you what looks better for them any given moment. In the case of N6000 Intel only gives you their TDP. Which they claim is 6W. Now, Intel TDP is...
  4. I

As you quoted me i thought you were replying to me. Did you use small FFTs in Prime 95? Coz there is no way that AIDA can match it especially for longer run. As for the difference(you hitting 2,8 GHz for full load, long run), maybe you got lucky and won silicon lottery, which means your CPU can...
  5. I

AIDA64 does not qualify as a real stress test, never did. For full load stress testing please use Prime95 and small FFT for like 30-60 minutes and report back. Thou im pretty sure it will throttle much sooner.
  6. I

I can go into details if you want. So it's like this: - Every modern Intel CPU has 2 power limits -> PL1 and PL2. PL1 is for full load, long period of time. PL2 is short burst(usually 20 to 45s) for light workload. Now, PL2 is set by Intel and you cant go above it, nobody can. That's the...
  7. I

It would be uncoolable at 55W of power without a fan. That's i5/i7 1240p/1260p territory. Since it has only one P-core(so not 2 like i5 1240p) this should do 20-35W on avarage and 40+W at full load.
  8. I

Everything is working fine here. You're just expecting things that are not meant to be. The N5105, even with unlocked PL1 can't go past 20W for sustain load and thats by design since the PL2 which is short burst tops out at 20W(PL1 can't go higher than PL2) and i don't believe Intel allows to...
  9. I

N100/200 won't be any faster or maybe by a small margin. N200 is roughly at level of i5-8250U performance wise when TDP limit is lifted. As it stands at 6W(and its not really a 6W) it will be slower. For now the upgrade path from N5105 is pretty straight-forward, you either go for something...
  10. I

Yeas at idle, that's fine. Again i don't think his setup is at idle with 60C. He posted a graph with cpu usage. It seems he is at very least at 40% CPU usage ALL the time. So 60C seems quite fine.
  11. I

Like i said i assume his setup is not at idle(given the things he run on it) at any time. 27C even at idle for this CPU is very low. Replacing thermal paste is always a good idea on those premade boxes.
  12. I

Looks normal for N5105 without a fan. Just put a fan on it and you will be fine, there is no real way to run this cpu with like 100% load for long time and not hit 90-100C(so its gonnaa throttle) without a fan. People have unrealistic expectations. That Crucial nvme drive is perfectly fine till...
  13. I

You're running Proxmox and 4 VMs so the system is pretty much never at idle, so 60C is pretty normal here without a fan and you will hit even higher under load even with a fan.
  14. I

Suricata isn't really very well optimized for MT, the newest version has some improvments and will be shipped with OPNsense update 23.7 so like a month or two from now. That being said, there is no way you can run it on N5105 with decent amount of rules and get like > 1 Gb/s connection speed...
  15. I

Topton i5-1135G7 with i225 2.5G Report

It's pretty new, so not likely.
  16. I

Topton i5-1135G7 with i225 2.5G Report

C3 state(and lower) while great for saving power when the CPU is at idle it's not recommended for OPNsense nor any other based on Freebsd. It can cause instability. Now, 75c at idle isn't normal and is a clear indication of misaligned heatsink / bad pasta etc... So should just repaste with good...
  17. I

Topton 12th Gen Alder Lake 2.5G Soft Router Intel i7-1265U/ i5-1235U/i3-1215U

Depends on what do you mean by "FULL IDS/IPS". If you really use every rule available than no. Not even i7-1265U can do it while doing 2.5 Gbps at the same time. Suricata isn't build for that. Never was. Pretty much no IDS/IPS is meant to work like that and when forced its gonna kill pretty much...
  18. I

New firewall - mini pc

You see, that was the point - "just have devices plugged into your router" like AP, Desktop etc... without any hardware switches, dumb or managed. By LANs i just meant devices plugged in into the LAN ports on the router/firewall. So people use those lets say 3,4,5 LAN ports on a...
  19. I

New firewall - mini pc

You're correct. Still, you CAN do switching on firewall but ofc it's not recommended for obvious reasons(security, collisions etc..). Some people like to just setup lets say opnsense with wan and 2-3 LANs and be done with it. Not everybody can do VLANs. Some people also like to have everything...
  20. I

New firewall - mini pc

That's pretty cool. Thou the prices are quite high for what it is. One would think that if you're doing a DIY build you would want a normal pcie slot for 10 Gb/s nic coz otherwise for the price you can buy 4-6/2.5 Gb/s whole mini pc on aliexpress. Still, pretty cool site.