Search results

1. T

Replacement for Windows Home Server 2011

For FreeNAS I may consider purchasing 2 more 4TB drives giving me 3 of those in a Dev, and a hot spare. Any concerns with the circa 2011 Intel Core I3-2100 Sandy Bridge?
  2. T

Thank you for your response. I only have one computer now and it is running Windows 10. I assumed ZFS and I could upgrade to 16GB if, as you say, more is needed. I'm probably not interested in FreeNAS IF it is complicated and not reliable :-(. With the Synology I was planning to use their...
  3. T

Background About 9 years ago I finished my first ever server build with help from STH (build post here). This was used with WHS 2011, primarily to backup my small network of 3 PCs. Over the ensuing years it worked as expected and required very little care and feeding. It worked so well that I...
  4. T

Proposed X9SCM-F build for WHS11

Newbie question: This server has two NICS: Lan1 is Intel 92574L and Lan2 is 82579LM. I have only used Lan1, using it both for the initial IPMI connection and now for connection to my network. Am I correct in assuming that I COULD use the Lan2 connection for IPMI while the server is on the...
  5. T

I appreciate the tips and suggestions from you guys. The build went smoothly but the installation of Windows Home Server 2011 was an odyssey. My original plan was to have my old WHSv1 server and my new WHS2011 server both running on the network to facilitate migrating the shares over. However...
  6. T

Alright, I am taking pictures as I go. I've run into a problem and I would appreciate any insight you can offer. The HAF 922 case comes with 3-pin fans. The I3 cooler is 4-pin. The Supermicro X9scm-f has five fan headers, 3 of which can accept 3-pin. However, the manual says not to mix 3-pin...
  7. T

Thanks for the good suggestions. I had only seen Philmatic's when I ordered my components. The suggestion from all regarding the memory is a good one that I should have followed, but I guess my thinking was I had already gone way over budget on this system. So, if in the future I repurpose this...
  8. T

I'm a noobie to DIY server builds so I'd appreciate another set of eyes on this proposed build as I move from WHSv1 to WHS11. I have two specific questions: 1. I want to operate the server headless. I know this MB supports IPMI, but I'm not sure if it is fully supported with the I3 CPU. Will...