Search results

1. I

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Baremetal running 23.05 on a Topton N5105 system (16G RAMB/128GB NVME) pfSense is using 16.1GB+ when in reality it should be 4.7GB or so. Looks like my snapshots went very rogue...I deleted everything except ONE, but I did get an "Error 5" when deleting SOME if them. Didn't think much of it as...
  2. I

I hope I'm not alone trying to connect a USB serial cable to the RJ45 console port. Here's what I have done so far (with little to no success): - bought a Cisco USB serial console cable from AliExpress (Cisco console cable) - purchased an RJ45 Open connector that allows me to reconnect wires...
  3. I

Multigigabit Wi-Fi 6/E upgrade

I'm cheap... I got a Netgear RAX50 refurbished to repurpose as a wifi 6 AP. While not 6E capable, it does do 4x4 in the 5GHz band, 160MHz channel. Only gigabit ports, but at a few meters distance, I get close to gigabit speeds on the clients. Considering how poor the Netgear software options...
  4. I

Happy to report that I got some time on my hands this weekend and made this little box my main router/ firewall. This is a bare metal pfSense install, just to be clear. I haven't got the fan yet, but even without it CPU temp stabilized around 40C with spikes to 70C when stressed for an hour...
  5. I

Yeah, on mine the aluminum block cutouts don't line properly with the VRs so it kept the gap between CPU and the copper block large. I just removed the aluminum block, haven't gone past 70C since, and that's without the fan. Yes, I did apply all the BIOS and pfSense optimisations recommended...
  6. I

Part of the mystery solved...I hope it helps others: I tried your suggestion with thermal pad - no dice, worse temps. Then I took a light and peeked under the mobo to see if I can spot what prevents the CPU to make proper contact with the copper block: the the bloody additional aluminum block...
  7. I

I can't figure out why I'm running at 42C idle and 95C under stress test then instantly drop back to 45C...clearly the thermal contact is imperfect. I ordered a 40mm x 7mm fan from Aliexpress...i'll be retired and the house burnt down from the pfSense appliance by the time it gets here :) I also...
  8. I

Newbie here... I spent the weekend reading through the forum posts and like many others I re-pasted the CPU, made BIOS changes and stabilized the temperature at 40-42C (ambient 26C) . I installed a bare metal pfSense which works well, tweaked the manual CPU settings there as well - so BIG thanks...