Search results

1. HotFix

Want to get used case for my new NAS server, how to know..

A backplane is a circuit board you can plug things into. In this case you can plug 24 drives into this backplane. The SAS2 backplane is what allows you to connect those 24 drives to a single (or dual if you get the EL2 version) SAS cable. You then hook this up to a SAS card (or in my case an...
  2. HotFix

Looking for advice on a case for SSDs and HDDs.

Thanks guys. It all powered up and saw all the drives so I think I'm a good w/o the 20 pin cable. Now I just have to figure out all of the optimal BIOS settings for Windows Server 2012 R2. :-)
  3. HotFix

I am finally installing my X10SRH-CLN4F motherboard into my SC846 today and I ran into a snag/area of concern. My motherboard has a 20 pin front panel connector, but the SC846 has a 16 pin connector and cable. I looked in the SC846 manual and it says I need to get a 20 pin to 16 pin cable (part...
  4. HotFix

Anyone have the Supermicro SC846 front bezel?

Thanks for following up on this. This then matches what Neo posted in pictures. Just need to make sure they have the kit/part #. I'm going to track down the best deal tomorrow and order it. When it comes in in will post pictures
  5. HotFix

Neo's FreeNAS Build

Out of curiosity why did you spend more money to buy the plate and remove the DVD drive?
  6. HotFix

Supermicro 4u 24 bay chassis with SAS2 expander

I used the messaging inside of Ebay on one of their items and had really good responses. They seemed to take a day each time, but that could have been my fault in responding to them so late in the day each time. I haven't fired it up yet but the SC846 they sold me looks like it is in good shape.
  7. HotFix

They are my next stop of I don't get any bites here.:)
  8. HotFix

When server builds go wrong!

Either that or the SAS Mini-HD port is unplugged. But I bet it's the power as I have done that a few times myself. :D
  9. HotFix

1U Intel redundant PSU, 12x gigabit 64GB E5-2690 v2

I think you missed the part where I mentioned the dedicated guest NICs used multiple VLANs.;) We could have combined the host and guest NICS since they were plugged into the same switches, but I was playing it safe. In all honesty I'm glad we broke them out as I got to see the different network...
  10. HotFix

Specifically the part number MCP-210-84601-0B. I'm want to get one for my chassis, but I'm not clear how it will attach. In another thread Neo has a bezel for his slightly smaller Supermicro case, and it hooks on using holes in the handles. I don't seem to have holes in the handles of my SC846...
  11. HotFix

1U Intel redundant PSU, 12x gigabit 64GB E5-2690 v2

The last time I designed and built enterprise Hyper-V clusters, I used 10 NICs as we didn't have 10GB. Everything was deployed in redundant pairs because of redundant switches and the network team's requirement of being able to take down a switch at a moments notice. The port breakdown worked...
  12. HotFix

Hyper-V

As for resources, here is a MVP's blog on Windows and Hyper-V that I use a lot (and I have his 2012 Hyper-V book which is pretty good): Aidan Finn, IT Pro Here is a Hyper-V best practices check list maintained by a friend of mine: Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Best Practices (In Easy Checklist...
  13. HotFix

Neo's FreeNAS Build

It does and thank you for posting those pictures! Unfortunately my SC846 doesn't have holes in the handle like that so I'm not sure my unit is designed for a cover plate unless that units face plate books on some other way.
  14. HotFix

Neo's FreeNAS Build

Can you explain and/or show how the front cover clips/hooks on? I have the exact same concerns you have (2 cats and it will be in my office) for my SC846, but now that I have the case I can't see how/where a front bezel would clip/hook on. I also have the added concern of a year and 1/2 old...
  15. HotFix

Cheap, multipath SAS JBOD enclosures

At least in the Windows world, and I am pretty sure this is a universal thing, for either server to take over a disk at the drop of a hat both of them need to see it at the same time. In the case of Windows, its the clustering service that arbitrates which node is using what disk at any one...
  16. HotFix

X10SDV-TLN4F versus X10SRH-CLN4F for a Storage/Hyper-V server.

Is the alcohol for me or the chassis? (LOL as I sip on some imported Puerto Rican rum a co-worker had his wife bring in for me as a thank you). Really the only "clean up" I need to do is remove some old sticker residue on the front (and some magic marker it looks like), otherwise it's in good...
  17. HotFix

Gecko, I'm quoting your original post because there is nothing wrong with what you asked me and I think my response might help others in the future if they find and read this thread. If another forum member has a problem with a post, they can choose to report it and let the moderators deal with...
  18. HotFix

Thank you for confirming that I'm good with the single SAS cable! I threw caution to the wind and ordered a .6 meter LSI cable with those ends which should do the trick, but it's good to know I am good to go. :D I looked online for what the difference was between I2C and SGPIO, and I didn't...
  19. HotFix

What is this comment in reference to?
  20. HotFix

Here is the picture of the two rubber grommets (or whatever you call them): As you can see the right one is missing pieces and one of the flaps fell off (and is laying under the right hand cable) as I was inspecting the case last night.