Search results

1. D

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

OK, finally got around to installing the board (X10SDV-F) last night. Everything went smoothly, and I had no trouble installing ESXi 6.0 to the 16GB SATA DOM (Supermicro SSD-DM016-PHI). After installation, I noticed that VMware created a 7.5GB additional datastore on the unused space on the DOM...
  2. D

M.2 drive for SM X10SDV-F

$50 isn't bad for specialized hardware. I've overall had good luck with USB drives and ESXi, but expect the SATA drive to be more reliable and much quicker. Although a vSphere boot drive failure wouldn't be a showstopper, it would definitely be annoying, especially if I'm not around home to get...
  3. D

My understanding is that if the controller is supported, then any drive that works with the controller will work. Any M.2 drive should work with this board, but PCIe drives wouldn't work with older mSATA only motherboards.
  4. D

I went with a Supermicro 16GB SATA DOM for the ESXi boot drive and 512GB XP941 for primary high-speed VM storage. File server storage and some Linux VMs will be on a 3x2TB 2.5" drive RAID array on an LSI adapter. It's my first time using a SATA DOM so I'm curious to see how it will work as a...
  5. D

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Looks like the X10SDV (non 10Gb) version is in stock now at a few places. I ordered from Superbiiz yesterday (have no need or use case for 10Gb) and it's already shipped. Wiredzone also shows it in stock. I also bought the Samsung XP941 512GB SSD and 64GB (16x4) Crucial ECC RAM. I will run ESXi...