Search results

1. V

Ryzen ECC board that actually work / confirmed ?

Two quick questions. Hopefully this turns into a list for others to refer to: 1. What ATX boards / CPU combinations actually error correct when using unbuffered ECC ram [Not just run/post BUT actually correct errors] ? 2.Same as above but for any budget mAtc or ITX ?
  2. V

Proxmox isolating vm from host, hyper & user (network and volumes)

Need to run some sketchy applications in a linux or windows vm, let's call it SketchVM. What I want to accomplish: - SketchVM to have access to the internet. -Malware on SketchVM cannot infect proxmox hypervisor -Malware on SketchVM cannot infect other vms or write to their drives -Malware...
  3. V

Drive types / filesystem / method to avoid corrupt data ?

Newb question: How to avoid data corruption in storage and backups ? What file system, backup method, RAM nonEcc vs ECC registered vs ECC unregistered, drive specs / types should I be looking at?
  4. V

Headless AMD - mATX without GPU?

Looking into AMD based mATX board that have two PCI slots to fill with networking cards, so I have NO slot for a gpu. Motherboards in mATX format with at least two long PCI slots: 1. Asrock B450M pro 4 2. MSI B450M Mortar Max 3. Gigabyte B450M DS3H 4. Open to other options please suggest...
  5. V

Legit check HP NC364T

Found this locally, it is a good deal, but does it look counterfit or original? Pictures attached in post. Experts please let me know.
  6. V

Quad port NIC (Genuine -Help)

Getting very frustrated playing detective with these cards, as I am really not an expert. I will need about 4 quad port cards, hope to have a few with SR-IOV. 1Gb cards are fine for my purposes but would buy a faster card if assured they are genuine. What is a reasonable price range for i350...
  7. V

Quad port NIC but which Tiny/Mini/Micro

Which Tiny, Mini, Micro (Dell, HP, Lenovo) can accomodate a quad port NIC like an i350 ?
  8. V

Two Network Cards in one SFF - HELP -?

Looks like the 50XX/70XX series Optiplex SFF pcs have two slots: 16X slot & X4 slot [30XX series only have a X1] The idea is to have two quad port cards in one SFF Optiplex, the x4 slot is fine however the x16 slot is locked to GPU only I have read. Found one post that covering a few of the...
  9. V

NIC for Pfsense: flash / drivers / firmware ? [issues with i340]

Have quad port an i340. Runing into a lot of issues. No matter what is done in Bios I constantly get a pre-bios PXE boot Intel Boot Agen error. I even downloaded an installed Intel Boot Agent removal utility and bootutil from Intel, suggested by intel to fix this, and ran the commands to...
  10. V

Hunt for Genuine quad port NIC [PFSENSE]

Read carefully through OEM equivalents thread and How to identify a genuine i350 thread (Embossed delta and a few other visual cues). Is there a sure fire way, or at least a high probability way, to buy a quad port NIC that has not been counterfitted. Dell/HP/Supermicro for example those ones...
  11. V

Virtualization Pfsense + VMs [Securely] HELP!

Want to run proxmox (or other hypervisor) on a single ryzen based PC w/ quad port nic installed. Will have a total of 4 VMs on that box that are connected to internet that will hold wallets and other sensitive financial applications that require a full time connection to the outside web. Is...
  12. V

pfSense SR-IOV [Security | Virtualization |Management Interface separation ]

Simple question: Is there a way to make a pfSense installation more secure using SR-IOV? I have read that there is a way to "separate the management interface" in an old long dead reddit thread, however did not at all understand how, what the implications are on security, how it relates to...