Search results

1. D

Mellanox SX6036, Rail Kit

It's incredibly hard to saturate 100gbe connections with single stream eth based traffic. 25gbe is rather expensive. 10gbe is not fast enough. 40gbe is still a really sweet spot on performance/price.
  2. D

Inspur-branded LSI9300-8i for $50

Physically these have a much smaller heatsink size and get super hot. You need forced airflow outside of a server chassis imo to not thermal/melt these. Surprised how small this heatsink is vs the very-much-pita Dell 9300's I have. Mine are luckily all in servers and still very hot to touch...
  3. D

Migrate from TrueNAS Core to XigmaNAS?

As a storage platform provider, both scale and core are exceptionally stable platforms. I don't use them for VM or containers however and have had issues with VM deployments off both scale and core. I typically pair up with proxmox for that segment of the work however so not a big issue in my...
  4. D

Upgrade Existing Win 2019 Std License + CALs to 2022?

If you read that actual linked post that person linked it doesn't say that you can upgrade free at all, and no you cannot upgrade free unless you have an active Software Assurance on your current version as that provides upgrade rights. It also costs a lot more vs a standard license. For...
  5. D

Freebsd ZFS performance of Core has always been exceptionally better given the same pool/dataset vs scale. I've noticed that in my comparisons and thought about just going base freebsd but I'm pretty new to freebsd. Comfortable with a CLI, but don't want to FAFO with my storage arrays. Ended up...
  6. D

Enterprise SSD/HDD price increases :-(

I'm on it! Let me ask my self hosted... Ah shit.
  7. D

[WTB][US-TX] SAS3 SSDs lot of 16+

Found myself looking on eBay, but thought why not post here first. Looking for 16+ SAS3 ssds, preferring 1.6+ TB ea but open to lower density. Bonus if Dell. Caddies not needed.
  8. D

Yes export them and import via the cli with those cmds will generally work. Do run a snapshot first. What version of openzfs is running in core and xigma is a decent point to evaluate before migrate.
  9. D

[WTB][US-WA] Dell MD3000 Compatible Drive Caddies - Paypal

Sry I didn't have the caddies. I hope someone can help you get an old md3k back spinning ASAP.
  10. D

EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

Yeah I need one also. If I see them get reposted, I'll alert here.
  11. D

EXPIRED Neat GPS clock SFP module - $20

This is so cool and I absolutely don't need one to but...maybe....I.....do
  12. D

QSFP28 100G DAC cables QTY 5/$50

This seller took 70/EA and I bought a pile of FH brackets from China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/404882568073
  13. D

QSFP28 100G DAC cables QTY 5/$50

Dang sorry to hear that. I'm super excited to have gotten 5 cards and cables for so cheap over the past 2 days right now. I can't believe I'm going to (attempt) to hit 100. I'll be lucky to hit 30s I now fear . Bad eBay sellers are really a downer, sending you insane offer accepted vibes.
  14. D

AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

Important to note two things. Which chip is being used and what your use case is. If you get a 16 core Rome, 4 Channels is recommended due to CCD arrangement by a few mobo manufacturers. Greater then 32 cores, max channels has very appreciable impacts. If you are using the EPYC for say desktop...
  15. D

USA Chelsio T6 100Gbe Ethernet NIC

I am glad you pointed this out, sticking with Mellanox sounds like the safer route for workstations.
  16. D

USA Chelsio T6 100Gbe Ethernet NIC

I'd assume these generate significant heat, but do you think running them in a desktop could be doable with 3d printed bracket fans or well positioned fans alone?
  17. D

Dell R720xd backplane question

I'm double necroing this post. Did you get this to work? I can confirm I got the T630 backplanes to work in a T620 which was great for Toshiba SAS SSDs but overall. Indeed the iDrac doesnt show disks, but it doesnt halt the system at boot or anything tragic. Now I am itching to pull the trigger...
  18. D

E5-2696 v4 22core CPU for $150 or less

I have 2x of these 2696v4 in a server and they have been really snappy running proxmox vs older 2667v2 chips. It has made virtual desktop based VMs very performance feeling. I have an EPYC 7B12 and TR pro 5955wx as well and virtual desktops snappy like those are which is great for the price. I...
  19. D

Is going iSCSI via FC or IB in 2022 outdated?

Yeah I need to take this apart some more, get more label shots. Will post back. This memory part is confusing me here.