Search results

1. I

Fujitsu Futro S920 Thin Client as opnsense firewall

I honestly don't think you'll notice a big speed difference changing your setup. You're already in the ballpark for gigabit service and it's pretty normal to lose some speed due to testing conditions. Plug a computer directly into the ONT and see if you can beat your score. But I ran some tests...
  2. I

What hardware to use for energo efficient small server?

Have you considered gimping your existing hardware first? It probably has very good software voltage/clock control if you can't access the settings in the bios. https://github.com/kevinlekiller/amdctl You don't want an ARM board, the accessories cost too much money. You're looking for a...
  3. I

S920 has the wireguard-kmod module loaded and almost symmetrical gigabit. Pi4 has wireguard-dkms, is within a mile away and has a 400 mbit downlink and very bad upload. [root@S920 ~]# iperf3 -c Pi4 Connecting to host Pi4, port 5201 [ 5] local S920 port 22685 connected to Pi4 port 5201 [ ID]...
  4. I

Mine idles at about 16-17 watts before the CPU one-shots and 15-16 afterwards so basically not a big difference according to my UPS wattage readout.
  5. I

Some more opnsense power saving tricks that probably don't do a lot. enabling extra c-states This is worth ~1W, my UPS doesn't have enough granularity to show much of a wattage change run this to check the current opnsense c-state settings sysctl dev.cpu | grep cx In opnsense the GX-424CC...
  6. I

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/fujitsu-futro-s920-thin-client-as-opnsense-firewall.31087/page-4#post-341268
  7. I

I got CPU undervolting to work on opnsense/BSD. Skip halfway down if you just want to copy paste. So to undervolt this CPU you can actually just set up an undervolt in Linux and then copy the MSR values that changed. Warning: If you copy paste my settings on anything but a GX-424CC bad things...
  8. I

My i350 quad's stuck at 2.5 GT/s too now that you mention it. It doesn't go up to 5 GT/s even when speedtesting but this setup works fine for 1 gig. Edit: Actually it might be not be stuck or it's intentional? My FirePro S920 claims it's running at PCI-E 3.0 and the link jumps between 2.5 and 5...
  9. I

Warning: Some of these files are digitally signed and I've scanned them but I can't guarantee anything about their safety. https://mega.nz/folder/ZLNyAaTB#jXq3i5p0V9mh1YBXS5L8fA Here's the editcmos file requested. I have not tried this out yet. Looks like it needs to be ran from a DOS-based...
  10. I

The R5E/W2100 GPU configuration has a few quirks in Windows 10 LTSC. -Both GPUs use an ancient AMD catalyst driver (currently 27.20.1034.6). There's a FirePro-branded driver package that doesn't seem to work properly with this dual GPU config -The W2100 defaults to very annoying fan speeds. The...
  11. I

I think there's something wrong your cooler mounting :P. I have my box mounted vertically with a cardboard stand to unblock some of the vents. GX-424CC stats:
  12. I

While my relative and I were waiting for extra NB-65B19 chargers to show up snail mail they spliced an Apple laptop brick to a barrel jack connection. I can't remember what the voltage was, probably 14v. To my surprise the device worked fine, I was able to restore a Windows image to an S920. My...
  13. I

Following up those terrible benchmarks I did months ago because I didn't have enough hardware hooked up. iperf3 across 2 subnets on different ports of Dell i350-t4 Client is an i5-8350U Thinkpad T480 in Windows with onboard Intel NIC Server is a second GX-424CC S920 running Linux with onboard...
  14. I

No IOMMU on the GX-424CC either. [ 1.914672] AMD-Vi: AMD IOMMUv2 functionality not available on this system - This is not a bug. hardware watchdog mentioned in the docs also seems turned off by default [ 7.691847] sp5100_tco: SP5100/SB800 TCO WatchDog Timer Driver [ 7.692076]...
  15. I

Someone managed to plug a SATA connector into the port under the heatsink and power a hard drive with the 5V from the USB 2.0 pins. But there's actually an easier way to get SATA. I looked at the manual @Samir linked and the PWR pinout on (some?) boards is actually a floppy disk power...
  16. I

Some interesting tidbits from dmidecode and SMART of my box. It also describes the recovery jumpers, pretty much what I already wrote about earlier. So the pinout would be something like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 RCV The SSD serial starts with the year 2017, could be a coincidence. Does correspond to the 3...
  17. I

Pretty much. I can get at least 200 MB/s forcing a USB2 ethernet connected client over OpenVPN. I don't have all of my hardware moved yet so unfortunately I can only do hilariously dodgy tests or recall the ones I did months ago. But Wireguard-kmod was about 700 MB/s over LAN iirc. This is with...
  18. I

It'll be fine with your slow speeds. Probably don't even need any hardware upgrades, just use the single onboard Realtek and hook it up to a managed switch. :eek:
  19. I

Budget 1Gb pfSense build

I can get 1 gbit WAN speed with a GX-424CC (2.4 GHz) but Surricata cuts the speed in half so IPS is not usable. Wireguard-kmod speed across LAN was around 700 MB/s iirc. T620 plus's top CPU is GX-420CC (2 GHz) so it's even worse than what I described.
  20. I

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

Is the Dell T34F4/I350-T4 a unicorn? I got one from eBay for $50 a long time ago. On Linux I somehow flashed Dell firmware and then Intel firmware. The card didn't complain about it. I don't remember any part of the story sans cussing the dodgy update tools Dell or Intel provided. I think I...