Search results

1. G

Looking for a new Server Chassis

Currently have a Rosewill 4U server chassis that I replaced the front fan/hdd trays with Icy Dock hot swappable bays, so I have 15 drives. Does anyone know of or have any suggestions of a chassis that may have 20 or 24 3.5 drive bays available without using a SAS/Expander? New server...
  2. G

Looking to upgrade to AMD Home Server

After a little more looking around on ebay, I decided to just pick up two e5-2697 v2 CPUs and 128GB more DDR3 to max out my existing server for a little over $300. 24 Cores / 48 Threads should be enough to finish out all the VMs I want for my test lab and doubling the memory will allow me to up...
  3. G

To my knowledge I can't go to v3/v4 platform without upgrading my existing motherboard. Unless I'm missing something the 602 chipset 8s v1/v2 only.
  4. G

v3/v4 is not an option for me as my current MB only supports up to v2 options. If I have to buy a new MB as well, then I figure I might as well look to switch to EPYC as they offer better options if I want to go over 10 cores/20 threads in a single CPU for lower power draw. Also, the number of...
  5. G

I admit that I have read about Zen and NUMA, but I really don't know enough about it (and probably should learn more). I've never heard IOD before and don't know what that is.
  6. G

I haven't actually measured my server draw on average from the wall, and probably should do get a baseline idea. While the 7551p may not be 1/2 the power draw, it's still a measurable difference along with doubling the # of available cores and threads along with advancements in core clocks and...
  7. G

That's a never-ending cycle, as you can always wait for the next tier to become cheaper. Also, I don't really see anything that Zen2 brings me over Zen1 right now other than slightly higher clock speeds, which for a home server and my uses probably wouldn't be seen in real life workloads. I...
  8. G

Currently I have a home server running dual Xeon E5-2670 8 core processors 128GB of DDR3-1600 ECC memory that I run ESXi 6.0 on. It is in a Rosewill 4u server chassis with 12 3.5" drive bays full of HDDs. I currently run a handful of full time VM hosts: - FreeNAS Server - Plex Server - Windows...