Search results

1. S

Raritan Dominion KVMs

Well yea, Supermicro IPMI requires java too, as do an awful lot of the VM consoles, so I'm kinda OK with it being Java. It's mostly a BIOS/EFI/Boot access thing, or maybe a way around a stuck NIC. Anyway good to hear they're usable, I read somewhere that some of the other IP KVMs were bricks...
  2. S

Raritan Dominion KVMs

Used Raritan Dominions have gotten cheap, or maybe they always were, I wasn't really looking, but seems like <$200 and often <$100 for multi-user KX2s. So are there any gotchas to these? I know you need the cat5-to-breakout dongles for these, but those seem to be gettable pretty cheap as well...
  3. S

Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ and/or X9SRL-F with an Optane P4801 100GB M.2

Yea, I haven't read anything to suggest otherwise. It's always good to ask though right? I think the DRi and DR3 might even use the same BIOS. Looks like the big difference between the 2 is that I have twice as many useless SAS/SATA ports (well in IllumOS anyway, the SCU ports are not supported...
  4. S

8TB Sun/hgst drive showing as 7.9TB (and not 8.0TB like others)

Hmm, interesting I had a similar issue with a Seagate ST2000LM007, I had one drive that reported like 10% less capacity than many others. It also reported different firmware although all the same revision numbers for everything else. In my impatient attempt to cut to the chase, I had a flakey...
  5. S

How does desktop M.2 SSD with Optane work?

Yea I have pretty much these same questions. The built on Optane buffered NAND devices, from my understanding, are meant to be OEM only devices for laptops, and my assumption would be that they are essentially like the 16 and 32GB caching devices that just so happen to also have some NAND on the...
  6. S

MB607SP-B and other "SAS compatible" Icy Dock backplanes

The Icy Dock cages are pretty much just passive boards. The one exception being that they are essentially 5V exclusive devices, they use 12V but only for the fans, the 3.3V is omitted on most models. So if there is any 3.3V reliant circuitry on the drive or feature that probably won't work. Like...
  7. S

Pcie4 NVME on Pcie3 board

The only issues I've ever read about involve intermediate passive components in the middle that do not adhere to the negotiated specs of the end points. So connecting a PCIe v4 slot to a PCIe v4 capable card with a PCIe v3 rated riser cable. So in your case, I guess that would be either the SFF...
  8. S

Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ and/or X9SRL-F with an Optane P4801 100GB M.2

Seems like the place to ask this, so I am looking to use an Optane P4801 100 GB M.2 on a Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ and also on another box with an X9SRL-F, in both cases I would be using a PCIe (V3) x4 slot with just a run of the mill PCI to single stick M.2 NVMe adapter, specifically an ECM26 from...