Search results

1. G

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

This is likely what I would do, I do this with my server now which runs proxmox and my pfsense install in my lab. I'd hope your i7-8700T is able to run that! What's the power draw like?
  2. G

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

have you been able to pass gig speeds, and use vlans without any strange issues?
  3. G

This only really matters I think if you want to do VPN things with openvpn or similar. If you plan on Wire Guard it's not really useful. (This is for home use specifically). Though I would plan on trying to make sure I get something with it. Both the Intel® Pentium® Silver J5005, and its similar...
  4. G

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

This is not a great option if you want to use it as , say a router. USB is much slower and the nics have issues with more advanced features.
  5. G

Oh, I meant I want to bare metal the the firewall and routing. I use switches for as much of the networking as I can to reduce the load on the CPU. I plan on using a pcie NIC for sure, not the internal one. I need at least two ports. One in for WAN and the LAN out to my switches.
  6. G

I see a lot of you running hypervisors on your boxes. I'm just trying to run opnsense or pfsense and replace an older atom E3805 which is having trouble handling gig speeds. Which box is generally used for this? I felt this project was the place to ask. For perspective I've looked into the...