Search results

1. J

Dell VRTX questions

I got 2x R640 1x R740 1x SCv3020 and the PS4000 (misidentified it previously) for AU$2200 which is far far far below going price.Varying factors why and how that I cant go into besides "right time, right place and knowing the right person when a company completely restructured" reasons (eg. I...
  2. J

Dell VRTX questions

Its not really what I would call a "nice" web UI, but it works well enough. Compellent =/= Equallogic. the support for the SCv3020 is directly through dell. Unfortunately I do not have any access to firmware for the PS4100 (I have one of those too), they refuse to provide support at all, they...
  3. J

Dell VRTX questions

From top to bottom: 2x R640 - 2x Xeon Gold 6144, 192GB ram 1x R740 - 2x Xeon Silver 4110, 64GB ram 1x Ryzen 2700x 48Gb Ram 1x Compellent SCv3020 (8x 480gb ssd, 12x 1.8tb 10k rpm) 1x VRTX (specs already mentioned above) Web interface I havent dug into much beyond the vlanning that I needed (very...
  4. J

Dell VRTX questions

it happily connected to the XSM7224S - 24-Port 10G SFP+ Layer 2 Stackable Managed Switch with four 10G combo ports via DAC My lab is fully 10gbit The lab has cost me about AU$3500
  5. J

Dell VRTX questions

nope, picked it up from a client who had retired it because a blade had failed from the firmware update, it had been sitting in their storeroom for a year or two. Just a case of the right time at the right price
  6. J

Dell VRTX questions

The VRTX system came complete, was decomissioned because warranty had expired and one of the blade had a failed iDRAC firmware update that "bricked it". Updated the chassis management controller firmware to 3.4 and was able to see the iDRAC and was able to update the iDRAC firmware on it and...
  7. J

Dell VRTX questions

Awesome, thank you for replying. Looks like I got a really good deal then, the chassis also has the 10gbit external interface as well.
  8. J

Dell VRTX questions

OK, but is that based on firmware version or based on chassis model? eg. is there any difference between a chassis from 2013 vs one from more recent?
  9. J

Dell VRTX questions

So I recently picked up a Dell VRTX chassis with two M620 blades in it. I can't seem to find a firm answer regarding if I am able to put M640 blades into this chassis or if I need a newer model of the VRTX chassis (if there is such a thing?) I have updated all firmware to the latest versions...
  10. J

Dell Poweredge R640 suitable for home lab use?

My home lab currently. The R740 has not made it into the rack as I am awaiting a 2RU case for the Ryzen server (5RU case in the rack) Pictures of my home lab
  11. J

Wasn't really in the budget unfortunately, however I have modified my existing rack which will do for now until I save up enough to get a sound proofed rack (servers are located underneath my stairs, access to the space is via a door in the master bedroom lol
  12. J

This project is currently on hold while I arrange a rack. My server room is under my staircase so I have limited height to work with (around 1.3 meters) so ive been hunting a suitable 22-24RU rack that is 1000mm deep at the right price (surely I can find one that someone just wants to get rid of...
  13. J

Oh, I forgot to mention how much I paid... AU$2000 for the 2xr640 1xr740 1xscv3020 and an old ps4000 as well
  14. J

Ahh sorry, forgot to say but the fan speeds are with the two HBA's removed already. These are all for my home lab, its a little overkill but I do get to try things I cant with my clients at work, so in theory I can do anything with these servers
  15. J

This was the first thing I did, unfortunately it does not seem to have much impact on the volume. A little digging through forums last night I found mentioned that certain hardware configuration make the idrac ramp the fans up higher. edit: Just had a look, it lists the minimum fan speed as 28%...
  16. J

Ok, so initial impressions: The early results are not what I expected, I was really worried about the 1u servers being too loud to use at home, it is actually the SCV3020 and R740 that are the loudest. I have been tweaking and testing a bit with the R740xd but cannot get it to be quiet, it...
  17. J

so... I pulled the trigger on my offer and it was accepted. I pick up my new servers on Sunday :D - 2x Poweredge R640: 2 Xeon Gold 6134 6 32GB 2666 RDIMM 2 16gb SD cards 2 240GB Mix Use Sata SSD - 1x Poweredge R740XD 2 Xeon Silver 4110 2 32GB 2666 RDIMM 5 8TB NLSAS - 1x SCv3020 12 1.8TB SAS 8...
  18. J

Hahaha yeah I have spent the morning looking at sound proofing materials and sound proofed racks. I know 1U servers have got much better over the years, I was hoping someone would have one that I could get a good idea of how much sound proofing ill actually need
  19. J

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to acquire a pair of Dell Poweredge R640 servers with the following specs: 2x Xeon Gold 6134 6x 32GB 2666 RDIMM 8x standard fans I was wondering if these would be suitable for a home lab install, does anyone have any feedback on how loud or quiet these servers...