Search results

1. MacLemon

[Feedback sought] Enthusiastic NAS build [4.5y usage update 2019-12]

Inevitable double post. The mainboard has returned from SUPERMICRO RMA after almost four weeks. They did replace it without me having to pay anything but shipping the defective board to them. They've kept the original CPU heat sink and fan and moved them to the replacement mainboard. The four...
  2. MacLemon

I can only second that. Being a noob here myself I was welcomed very friendly and I received excellent help from people here. Keep in mind that I'm not really active here, I literally only posted in this very thread since I joined. :-P I never thought about it. I consider them pretty “boring”...
  3. MacLemon

RMAs can be requested worldwide :), which is exactly what I did. If SuperMicro does replace/repair the board, I'm happy with that. If they don't, I'm in the market for a new server motherboard and CPU, preferably with more SATA onboard channels and SFP+ options. I'll keep you updated on...
  4. MacLemon

How about a November 2019 lifecycle update of that box? Why you ask? Well, it just died. With “it died” I mean, that it does not boot anymore. My current suspicion is that the Atom C2758 CPU or the motherboard died because it won't even POST anymore. It started with the box unexpectedly...
  5. MacLemon

The point of me wishing I could temporarily do a mirror was that this would allow full migration without downtime. Would have been nice, but in this very case, not necessary. Yes, it's perfectly possible to use zfs send and recv locally. It's as simple as zsf send sourcevolume/sourcedataset |...
  6. MacLemon

There is enough space in the enclosure to accomodate for 8 additional LFF HDs. I also do have a “spare” controller, which I'd need to flash to IT-Mode first though. It will do for the migration. (Still waiting for the last two HDs to arrive, since that project got held up a little by more...
  7. MacLemon

I only run encrypted zpools and the performance on the box is around 550MB/s on spinning rust only, no SSDs involved, no ZIL/SLOG/L2ARC in use. Since my CPU (Atom C2758) sports AES-NI, that is a total non-issue which also applies to the E-1200 CPU series. I easily have cycles to spare even when...
  8. MacLemon

Follow up, after running this build for a good 18 months now. Anyone interested what my experience is? Well, it goes something like this… The case: (Nanoxia Deep Silence 1) The whole thing is barely audible. It gets somewhat warm with the stock fans during the summer, which is still easily...
  9. MacLemon

Thanks a bunch for the update on the different p20 firmware releases. I had downgraded from the p20 to p16 following the recommendations of many postings here. p16 has really worked well with my setup. No issues that I'm aware of of any kind. After having my setup up and running for a good 3...
  10. MacLemon

I don't mind the few seconds since I don't reboot all the time, but I agree that it is de-facto unnecessary. FreeNAS 9.3 fully update does give a warning about Phase 20 being newer than the expected Phase 16, but I have not found any actual incompatibilities yet. Everything I have tested so far...
  11. MacLemon

Sorry for the double posting, I really couldn't avoid it this time. Speaking of the enclosure, I went with the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 (Revision B) which was suggested by member NeverDie in posting #8. It is huge. It is black. It is really well built and sports a lot of acoustic dampening...
  12. MacLemon

Caution, more pictures ahead! All the parts I ordered have arrived by now. \o/ Little Boxes, little, boxes… …and one more box. The Power Supply. So many things to do. Like flashing the IBM Serve RAID M1015 HBA with geniuine LSI Firmware. The article IBM ServeRAID M1015 Part 4: Cross...
  13. MacLemon

Sorry for the double posting, couldn't avoid it this time. You need to post more in between! More parts have arrived. \o/ Four of the six HGST HDs found their way to my place. Here's the SFF-8087 cables to connect the HDDs to the HBA. The HDs shall be connected to this IBM M1015...
  14. MacLemon

On my emergency checklists the very first point is always: 0: Turn off the beeper. (explicit list of needed steps in copy/paste-able form) For reasons! :-)
  15. MacLemon

I had some busy days recently. Now the first parts arrived. So here are a few pictures to keep you happy while I wait for more parts to arrive. :) SUPERMICRO™ A1SAM-2750F Logic board detail: Piezo squeaker and pin headers. A squeaker is a highly welcome feature on a server which is often...
  16. MacLemon

There's also no I/O shield available at all for the A1SA7 2750F, so even if I were able to get exact technical plans for the mounting holes that motherboard, while having excellent features, is sadly only made for fitting SuperMicro's own chassis. Therefore, after thinking this through, I've...
  17. MacLemon

Of course this makes setting up a RAID Z2 a completely manual process. Seems to be the only technical solution I could think of either. I likely do have access to tools, equipment and people with the necessary know-how to do this at my local hackspace. But it's certainly not a recommended...
  18. MacLemon

Preamble: Sorry for the pause, had a few very busy days preparing the local CryptoParty event/talk. Oh, and customers. :) Will the rounding be applied in IT mode as well? I'd doubt that, though I can't verify that myself. After all the point of IT mode is that the controller does not interfere...
  19. MacLemon

Thanks so much for all the input! I've combined all my replies into a single post to prevent a long monologue of mine. It's actually 1.4 years not months, but I agree that HGST drives are more reliable not only in Backblaze statistics but also in my personal experience. Considering to ditch the...
  20. MacLemon

See posting #52! -- I'm working on a somewhat enthusiastic home NAS system and would like your feedback on my choice of parts. Here's the details so far, reasonsoning why I chose these is below. Build’s Name: Work in progress Operating System/ Storage Platform: FreeNAS/FreeBSD CPU: Intel® Atom™...