Search results

1. M

Socket 2011 square & narrow ILM active cooling solutions

@Markess, that's a remarkable achievement ! The X10DRI build I carried out last summer was pretty quiet but not as quiet as your HomeLab server. For that project, I used two of these PWS-920SQ PSUs, did the SQ fan changes, converted the passive SM heatsinks to Noctua NH-U12DX-i4, for which I...
  2. M

Sorry ... both case types ('SC-743/745) are 4U not 5U. My mistake. Exact SKU I really don't know. It was a used system, not a newbuild.. I converted the case to the SQ variant (changed to dual redundant SQ-920 1U Power supplies, changed midspan and exhaust fans according to the SQ...
  3. M

Indeed, many Supermicro Server boards are ATX form factor (not all). These Noctua Coolers are nice. Used them in a recent 5U SC-745 build centered on a X10DRI. But if you want to denoise a 2U Supermicro server, they are of no use - even the Noctua NH-U9DX i4 (NM-XFB3), is a tad higher than 12cm...
  4. M

@TLN - Many thanks for this update. Interesting approach. Will contact Noctua myself on this issue. Asetek ? Never heard of that brand. Will do some research here...
  5. M

@Markess .. thank you very much for your suggestion. all input welcome. I indeed do have a couple of similar passive heatsink. Obviously that's a valid option ! take care, Maxx_1150
  6. M

!! HEUREKA !! I think I finally found the "missing link" in Narrow ILM cooling - see here - there's apparently available this IMHO very interesting adapter UNIVERSAL Mounting Bracket for LGA-2011 Narrow ILM (with it you should be able to mount many "ordinary" CPU coolers attached via a...
  7. M

Nothing planned yet, I just want to have the "solution" ready should the need arise to deploy it. I could take any U.2/U.3 drive. What IS set in stone here is merely the form factor and for the time being most probably also the Server CPU platform (Xeon E5 v3/v4) which obviously limits me to...
  8. M

But there may be another feasible avenue: found 2 cheapo full-copper 1U Heatsinks for the Narrow ILM socket form factor recently. Maybe there's a proper way to mount an 80mm fan on top of them. We shall find out ...
  9. M

How true !! But at least they can be used for 3U systems. Recently bought a lot of 20 at a good price. The Dell Precision Workstation types these coolers are compatible with (T3600, T3610, T5810, etc..) can be found everywhere .. they're almost "ubiquitous" in the world of corporate workstations.
  10. M

Well, these Supermicro 2U Cases are engineered to take up 8/16/24 of HDDs in these compact 2U backplanes !! So even going the U.2/U.3 SSD route, I think the cooling requirement is smaller than in the case of an all-HDD server. As there are SQ (SuperQuiet) options for many of their case variants...
  11. M

OK, today a package of these DELL Dell T3610 CPU Coolers (Heatsink Fan Assembly 0YH2R3 LGA2011) arrived. Unfortunately, they are not suitable as a 2U cooling solution, as they measure around 9cm in total height, in contrast to Supermicro 2U cases that feature 8,9 in total height. However, they...
  12. M

WTB - ORIGINAL Fanwall(s) for Supermicro SC-743 and/or SC-745

Yes of course, didn't even think of this. The original specimen is merely needed to take measurements and maybe do a 3D-Scan. The process is non-destructive !
  13. M

Alternatives to the Supermicro SuperChassis 743TQ-903B-SQ?

For similar purposes (custom made replacement fan-wall for Supermicro SC-743 and/or SC-745 cases to employ quiet 120mm or 140mm fans), can anyone sell me an original Supermicro SC-743 or SC-745 fan-wall (the fan backplate without the fan) for a reasonable price ? Could of course be from a...
  14. M

WTB - ORIGINAL Fanwall(s) for Supermicro SC-743 and/or SC-745

Looking to buy an ORIGINAL (Supermicro) Fanwall from a SC-743 and/or SC-745 case for a 3D printing / custom modding project (goal is to obtain specimen to create a replacement fanwall that will take up 120mm or 140mm fans). Fans are not required, just the large fan "backlate" rectangular...
  15. M

Well, recently stumbled over this (too well known) issue - how to noise-efficiently cool down Socket 2011(-3) CPUs. Now all ppl. familiar with WS / Server builds know that in such platform the CPU cooler retention module is based on ILM design...