Search results

1. D

CPU cooling mystery

Hi all – I've always been dumbfounded by CPU cooling fan setups. They seem like they're oriented wrong, like they're pointed down onto the PCB instead of blowing directly across the CPU. Like this setup from the STH article on a QNAP server. Can someone explain where the air is flowing there...
  2. D

Huge temperature drops from flipping switch into vertical orientation?

Hi all – I've been reading reports of how overly hot switches cool down dramatically if you flip them into a vertical orientation. Typically it's a 10+° C drop for a device that was running in the 60s or 70s. Ubiquiti example here. Have you observed this? What explains the drop in temps? With...
  3. D

Rack screws and matching screwdrivers

Hi all – Say I buy a homelab rack that uses 12/24 or M6 screws. What's the matching screwdriver size? It doesn't seem like "12/24" or M6 mean anything on the driver side – apparently they don't determine or constrain the head size, and the screwdrivers are using different codes. For Phillips...
  4. D

Standard log format for firewall and IDS?

Hi all – Is there a standard log format that appliances and firewall software like pfSense, Suricata, Snort, Untangle, Sophos, et al use? In my research I'm not seeing much mention of the actual log format these systems use. Are they still emitting syslog-style logs? What about rsyslog and...
  5. D

Intrusion detection / prevention for home network IoT devices

Hi all – What are some good solutions for firewall and IDS/IPS that can help prevent or mitigate IoT exploits? I want to get more insight into the traffic and behavior of smart home devices on the network. I'm especially concerned about cameras and security systems, scenarios like the recent...