Search results

1. M

Recommend NAS on VM?

For this case I don't think speed will be an issue. Excuse my ignorance, could I buy a 'better' raid card and simply plug it in to the existing cables, backplane etc? If so will any of the cards above 'plug and play'? Is there any disadvantage to running this hardware? Dell R610, 2x Xeon...
  2. M

Recommend NAS on VM?

So I dusted off this Dell R610 that I inherited. It turns out it has a SAS 6i/R controller not the Perc 6i. It appears this does HBA. Is this adequate for what I want to do?
  3. M

Recommend NAS on VM?

Thanks for the detailed information. I appreciate the time it took to explain this. I was hoping to buy a box that I could install software and go. Being in Canada it is a bit more difficult to find all the hardware to make this work. I was not aware I needed an HBA controller and I think...
  4. M

When will pfsense 2.2-RELEASE happen?

I upgraded from 2.1.5 last night. The only problem I ran into was my one interface was named by IP so it was all numbers. PFsense reported an error and wouldn't allow any gateway traffic through that interface. Luckily a quick google search identified the warning I was getting and I was able...
  5. M

Recommend NAS on VM?

I hope I posted this in the right forum. I'm new here and want to start out on the right foot. I plan to run a ESXi on a Dell R610 with a Perc 6/i Raid controller. I still need to purchase the Hard drives and I am also not married to the hardware so I am open to suggestions. I need to run a...