Search results

1. 5

Toshiba MK1001TRKB - HP equivalent

Hi Guys Just has a HP 1tb SAS drive fail - replaced it with a Toshiba MK10014TRKB with no rebuild issues or wining from the server, which was awesome. I however have a warning regarding the firmware version Firmware version :- 1003 - Recommended minimum version: HPD5 As this is a HP firmware...
  2. 5

Typical RAID6 performance?

I cant actually get anvil working on my win8.1 machine.. but using a HP p822 2gb card connected to 12x 2tb Ultrastar SATA drives.. i get (using Crystaldisk) - the HP can pretty much saturate the disks for sequential write 1gb file (uses cache extensively as you can tell :) )...
  3. 5

Rant....

He certainly did.. and a fast easy smooth process it was too. Can do nothing but recommend Chuckleb as a genuine, honest to goodness decent bloke :) as well as a few others on here and you know who you are! :) Steve
  4. 5

Rant....

Being Australia Based and offering a flip side to the rant, I have dealt with some of the guys on here and cannot believe how helpful and genuine they are. These are generally people that have experience of overseas shipping (or local shipping for overseas customers) but as mentioned, they have...
  5. 5

Looking to Source extra ram / cpu for HP ML350g6

Hi Peter appreciate you looking and offering, thank you Steve
  6. 5

HI Algebra Looks like the Motherboard was the older version that can only take 55 cpu's but have been looking and board +2 cpus + heatsink ect seem very cheap. certainly cheaper than buying a CPU kit. And can get the newer board that takes the 56 cpu. Steve
  7. 5

Thanks Abstract - I know they can be had cheap, just want the shrouds, heatsinks and fans etc that come with them.. I dont really have time to source all stuff piece by piece.. certainly an option tho so will check the link out. Steve
  8. 5

Hi PGH Thanks for the info.. thats awesome, much appreciated. I'll have a look through and see what I can find.. another PSU wouldnt go a miss either and they are very cheap from there. Let me know if you have a spare 5504.. and how much you want for it... Steve
  9. 5

Hi Guys Looking to source some ram and a second CPU for the server of an organisation that I volunteer for. The server is a HP ML350G6 and has a single E5504 (2ghz) in and 4gb of Ram (2x 2gb ecc) Looking to add around 32gb of ram and ideally a second CPU, but need the fans / shroud and...
  10. 5

Hypothetical first server, looking for feedback

Regarding freenas.. look at having 2 boot devices (usb sticks) as I have previously had sticks fail, and freenas now supports mirroring of usb drives for boot devices as standard (IIRC as part of the install process, but can be done via the GUI) I've been using freenas for a couple of years on...
  11. 5

SanDisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD $159

I Have the 240gb version in raid 0 .. .very happy with mine so far. Good warranty, apparently good support and quick!
  12. 5

WTB: 4x consumer SSD's

How well priced are the sandisk extreme pro's where you are.. i bought 2x 240gb ones for my new workstation / fileserver as boot drives in raid 0.. here in OZ they were the cheapest 'higher spec' drives i could find, cheaper than the samsungs.. and with excellent reviews.. and a 10 year warranty...
  13. 5

Performance Experiences with HP P420 w/ 2GB Cache?

I'm fairly sure the original firmware I had didnt work very well either i think it was 3.22 but I just automatically updated to the latest at the time.. I think patriot has mentioned that they seem to be improving compatibility with other boards due to the recent licensing deal. I certainly did...
  14. 5

Performance Experiences with HP P420 w/ 2GB Cache?

I'm running a p822 and a p420 on an asrock workstation board (c226ws) I dont have to disable the option rom as the card will post correctly, but I cannot access the card rom (ORCA) as no shortcut (F8 etc) is presented as i think the HP hardware is probably required, but they do work as they...
  15. 5

HP P440ar and H240ar..built with LSI ROC?

to back up patriots performance info.. based on my experience with the p420 and the p822... they fly :) 12x Ultrastar 2tb sata drives in raid 6.. crystal disk sequential 16gb file size - 1.45gb/s read - 1.4gb/s write in a white box server..
  16. 5

New HTPC build

Hi Guys I'm pondering over building a new HTPC for Mediaportal (long time user and previous testing team member prior to moving to OZ) I currently have a 4gb athlon x2 running 2x raid0 arrays (1tb each 2x 500gb hitachi drives per array) Its running windows 7 nicely (surprisingly!) but i'm...
  17. 5

Pliant SAS SSD - Failed firmware update

I'm hoping something like that will work, or even trying the ocz method of power only for 30 minutes, off for 30 seconds etc may revive it.. otherwise it will go in a drawer for a while and be tried again some time soon.. there must be some life in there though, otherwise it wouldnt be...
  18. 5

Well Hp's latest firmware was from fairly recently, therefore they were still supported. HP make firmware updates very easy (single executable in windows), so I thought why not.. I didnt realise they would require a reboot to finalise the flash.. and thats where the problem came in, my machine...
  19. 5

HI Guys One of the issues I encountered with my asrock c226ws problems was a failed firmware update to one of my pliant SSD's (HP Branded) its a MO0800FBRWD - 800gb MLC drive. The computer failed to restart and seemed to screw the firmware update up, the other disk managed to recover (I have 2...
  20. 5

Long shot - Issues with Asrock Rack C226ws

Well another update.. I have received the bios chip from asrock and from my initial testing it actually looks like it has fixed the boot loop issue, which i'm pretty surprised about. I'll keep testing but so far.. so good with several restarts. The only thing is now.. the read write speeds on...